Chapter: 6 (unfinished)

An orange tabby and white she-cat sniffed the air in hope of catching the scent of a mouse.

"An old rabbit scent... Nothing else," she sighed, as she leaped down from a rock.

"I figured," a white tom with a black tail and ears shook his head.

It was leaf-bare and prey was getting scarce. All the animals were going into their burrows, hibernating or living underneath the cold snow.

"Let's head back Mistypaw," the tom meowed.

"Without food, Cranecloud? What about Ravenshell's kits or Grassfur, Sunfeather, and Nightbird? Will the clan starve?" Mistypaw asked, worry in her voice.

"We'll live, don't worry. Today was just not our lucky day," Cranecloud replied.

"It never seems to be our lucky day," Dunepaw said rolling her eyes.

"Don't lose hope Dunepaw," Cranecloud said. "I know this is your first leaf-bare but that doesn't mean you have to act like it's the end of the world. Most kits and elders pass through leaf-bare perfectly fine!"

"Grassfur is very old and Ravenshell's kits are only 2 moons!" Sandpaw protested.

"2 moons is old enough to live through! I survived leaf-bare when I came to this Clan! I was born in leaf-bare itself," Smokepelt remarked, joining their conversation.

"Let's just head back," Cranecloud whispered with his head down.

"Don't lose hope Cranecloud!" Smokepelt quoted Cranecloud's words as he led the way back to camp.

As they reached camp, Mistypaw's heart ached at the sight of Ravenshell's kits scurrying out and looking around if they had brought anything back to camp. The elders had come out to congratulate them on their catch, only to slunk back into their bramble bush.

"Not even a thin mouse," Dunepaw mewed sympathetically to her half-siblings.

"Aw, why? I thought you were good at hunting!" Adderkit peeped.

"It's not about being good at it. There is no prey at all," Dunepaw said, smiling warmly.

"Wow. Dunepaw is a totally different cat to her siblings," Mistypaw whispered to Rabbitpaw.

"Yeah. Never hurt them or she won't rest until you get twice the punishment!" Sandpaw butted in.