Chapter 4:

"Wake up, Misty! How did you sleep?" Barka asked, waking Misty from her sweet dreams.

"Oh hey Barka. You're up early," Misty mumbled.

"Yeah, I went hunting mice,"

"Really? Can you teach me how to hunt correctly?!"

"Oh, wow... I thought you were going to ask for the mouse!" Barka laughed. "Sure I'll teach you!"

"Thanks! And I would like a mouse. I hadn't eaten since yesterday morning," Misty meowed. She sighed and slumped down, her paw over her mouse.

"Are you worrying about Rain?" Barka asked Misty sympathetically.

"Yeah..."

"Let's find somewhere safe to live and to heal my wound. Then we'll go search and come back by moonrise," she meowed quietly.

"Okay," Misty replied.

"How about I'll teach you to hunt, and I'll go looking for your sister while you hunt something for us? I know the two-leg place better than you,"

"Sure! That'd be great!"

After a few lessons of hunting, Misty finally got it. Barka said goodbye and left to find Rain after Misty had explained her looks.

'I guess I'll go hunt... but I have to remember what Barka said. "Don't go too far or you'll get yourself in trouble." ' Misty recalled. 'I don't want any trouble... not now.'

She trudged through the wet Newleaf grass. She was looking for something to catch for so long she didn't realize she had gone far. It was already noon and she hadn't caught a single mouse. Then Misty heard a little rustle far into a bramble bush.

'Finally! It's probably a mouse! I can't wait for my first prey caught all by myself!' Misty thought.

She sat in her hunting position just like Barka had taught her. Just as she was about to launch, the mouse flew out of the bush. Or so she thought! It was a badger, not a mouse!

"AAAAAAAH!" she shouted. "Help!!! Somebody?!" she ran by trees and the tall grass slapped her face but she didn't care. She kept running for her life. The badger pulled out its huge claws and launched at Misty. This time the badger's claws struck out and landed deep in her shoulder, creating three bleeding scratches.

'I can't keep running away from this badger! I have to fight back!' Misty thought, the pain in her shoulder increasing.

"GRAAAH!" Misty yelled as she threw a blow to the badger. She hit the badger's shoulder, making it bleed, but she toppled to the floor. She scraped her flank when she landed so she couldn't get up quick enough. The badger stood above her like a tree. Just as she thought her life would end right there, a black and white blur covered her view.