Imported Friendship, Exported Trust

Canada paced. America was found freezing on the floor of his house by Quebec, not something you want your kid seeing in the morning. The red and white clad country was originally going to chew his older brother out until he saw the flag in his arms. He recognized it as Alaska's by the single yellow star separated from the other seven. Several times he had offered to take the State as his own... then he realized after this entire fiasco starting that he wanted the land... not Alaska as a daughter. She had some of the best natural oil reserves, land like no other, pure and green, filled with lush trees and animals enough to feed an army for years! Russia wanted her back because of these things. Not to mention Alaska provided pristine military support. 

         "She signed the final paper last night," his eyes were closed, sunglasses crumpled into the flag, water dripping down onto the carpeted floor.

         "Well, what do you want me to do about it?" the younger Country asked, a little peeved, not only with America but with himself, "Okay, I'll admit, thinking long and hard I would have neglected her too, USSR did and Russia would do the exact same thing. No one is innocent in this America! So what could I do?"

Both were silent, the sound of the water on carpet going sh-plip, sh-plip, sh-plip. 

         "Either you fix this yourself," Canada told him, "or you let her become a Country. She's not going to be the little Alaska we all knew, though," he warned, "Never."

America cried, and Canada left him to be in his own room. 

~.~

     Alaska laughed, enjoying her time with Japan as she showed her a few other memes.

         "I can't believe you know Japanese(!)!" she giggled putting away her phone, "I don't trade with you, how do you know?"

To this the woman frowned, but quickly put the smile back on.

         "You had some of my people back in the day," she told the Country, "When they returned they came with a few... knowledges."

         "Oh, it must have been a tour!" she giggled, and the grown State only chuckled, knowing full well... it was far from a tour.

     The two enjoyed walking under the snow covered trees. Japan wouldn't stop admiring how they looked, and that they looked even better when the frosty pink blossoms came out to grace the air with their sweet sent. She was so different from her father. That power hungry Country had been defeated, and the pain caused forgotten, so it looks like. Japan got the power she wanted anyway, sneakily, and rather enjoyably at the look on her face, but it was no longer about ruling the world, she just ruled everyone's escape from it. 

         "So, if you do become a Country you'll need to know my stipulations on trade," the Jap' told her new friend, unknowing of the small grudge still aimed towards her, but Alaska kept that at bay, simply smiling as she nodded. This was a different Japan then from before... the blue and gold starred woman expected her to be taller too... come to think of it she was either as tall or taller than the countries she had met so far, "but first I need to know what you will be wanting," she continued sweetly.

         "It's a simple list really," Alaska admitted, sitting with her on a snow covered bench, "I've taken care of most things technology wise, but there are of course the dilemmas of communication and travel."

A long silence.

         "That's it?"

         "Well... the human children do enjoy a good video game or two," she chuckled, making Japan squeal.

         "My-my~"

Alaska shot to her feet, glaring at the failed country.

         "One of America's little birds wants to leave the nest! How enjoyable!"

         "How did you get here, Third?" Japan slowly stood, wary of the toothed smile the Nazi menace wore.

         "You all seem to forget that every Country gets one of these," he chuckled, and held up his ring, the swastika permanently etched into it's red metal, "Simply think, and you're there."

         "Get out of my land, Third Reich," Japan growled, and Alaska saw what was left of her father's influence, "you are trespassing, and this will not reflect well on Germany. He should have hidden that thing from you ages ago."

         "Relax," his smile was meant to be comforting, "I'm not here to fight. Alaska is just... so inviting."

He stepped up to the two, not even having to look down to stare into Alaska's angered eyes, Japan taking several steps back, without falling back on the bench, luckily.

         "And you're repulsive," she stated hardly, "leave Japan's land or else you will find yourself between a rock and six thousand armed military troops. That is one of three, of my largest bases."

         "My how I already enjoy your bad side," he chuckled, and threw his ring to the side, a worm hole appearing to his left, "I can't wait to see what makes you tick, schatz*~"

Alaska huffed as she dragged Japan away.

         "Verlassen, monstrum."** she snarled, making Third Reich take one more look at the grown State, proud of her fluency in his native tongue (!).

         "So-uh..." Japan coughed after they had stopped by another bench, "You know German... too?"

     Alaska sighed as she straightened her parka, pulling the hood up as a breeze flitted by, making Japan shiver since she forgot a winter hat herself. The State chuckled as she brought out a fur hat from beneath the fluffy folds of cloth, leather and fur, similar to Russia's Ushanka, but with spotted fur on the outside, and fluffy fuzz on the inside.

         "I told you it was going to get colder today."

Japan's eyes widened as she placed it on her head, the outside fur shimmering silver.

         "What kind of fur is this?" she noted the little tufts of fur on strings, connected to the ear flaps.

         "The inside is Snow Shoe Hare," Alaska explained, "the outside is Spotted Seal."

         "Did Russia give it to you?" she asked curiously, to which the blue and gold colored woman chuckled, shaking her head.

         "I made it myself. USSR, when he was the Russian Empire, was kind enough during my time as his daughter to at least let me use a few of his ideas. I made a few of them my own after he let me free."

Japan nodded, showing a smile, though on the inside, she was repeatedly apologizing for what her father had done, for what USSR had done, for what America did too. Alaska was so enjoyable, how could they miss it? She was reasonable, fun to have around, knows when to be serious, when to be playful and when to be dangerous. She heard one third of her fire power, but Japan doubted that was all she had. Simply stating she had 18,000 men at the ready wasn't a threat, it was a warning of what might come if she was crossed... or if anyone crossed a friend, an ally. Japan didn't feel threatened by her actions, she felt safe, knowing that someone had her back, even if both knew this little island didn't need it.

         "Speaking of being free," the smaller Country started, "how are you going to pay for these exports?"

Alaska laughed.

She would make a wonderful Country.

--------------------

*Schatz - treasure  (German)

**Verlassen, monstrum - Leave, monster (German) 

(!) - Japanese is not a native language in Alaska, though some citizens and many tourists speak it.

(!) - German is not a native language in Alaska though there are citizens who speak it littered throughout the State.