Bitter Sweet

"Your land is a lot like mine," Canada twirled around, only to fall in the snow that basically swallowed him.

     It was a warm spring day. The snow was melting, birds were chirping their glorious noon-day songs and Alaska was showing Canada what her land was like. They were indeed similar, aside from the trees and some wildlife.

         "Maple trees don't grow here?" he questioned for about the millionth time, earning the same answer from the taller State.

         "Nope, the permafrost doesn't allow much to grow in most places, aside from bushes and lichen. Spruce trees are what grow here mostly, some birch."

         "Ah, yes. Birch makes wonderful syrup."

         "So does Spruce." She giggled, earning an odd look from the Country. He hadn't thought of Spruce syrup...

     The two pranced through the snow laden field, Alaska having to drag him behind a rock as a pack of wolves tramped by. They watched, Alaska with a loving gaze, Canada simply awestruck. She managed to get the Alpha to accept her as not being a threat when they sniffed the two out, bending to all fours and nuzzling the large wolf under his muzzle, somehow convincing the more timid character behind her to copy her movements. So they ran with the wolves for a good long while, laughing all the way, playing with the three pups, almost grown now by Alaska's estimate.

         "He favors the second largest," Alaska pointed, the group of mammals having stopped at a nearby carcass to feed. The dark furred Alpha wasn't showing affection, instead he was tolerating the medium sized pup as it jumped over his father over and over, "Most likely the runt will make his own pack."

         "How do you know?" Canada looked to her, lifting himself up to his feet after petting one of the females.

         "Look at how he bites at his sister."

The smallest wolf was indeed biting at his much bigger sister, who was trying to steal his morsel of frozen flesh.

         "He may be the runt, but to have the guts to go against his sister, who is two times his size, proves that he'll most likely lead a mighty pack one day."

She slid to her stomach, catching the bigger beast's attention, making an excited whining sound. In turn the dog-like animal lowered her front end, seeing that this new addition wanted to play. Alaska giggled as the female "attacked" her, and they rolled in the melting snow. Alaska pushed the wolf away with her head, only for her arm to be stuck in the female's maw, and Alaska playfully forfeited by playing dead.

         "You are strong Amaruq," they connected their heads before the Alpha male chuffed, and his daughter bounced to her two brothers, who also answered the call.

Canada watched in awe as the group of wolves left the mostly eaten carcass for it's next visitor. The Alpha looked to the two, seeing if they were going to come along, guessing not when Alaska only made the move to stand, and waved a calm 'goodbye'. Canada too waved as the pack disappeared over the waves of snow, simply amazed.

         "What does... Amaruq, mean?" he looked to the State, who wore a soft smile on her blue face.

         "It's Wolf, in Kalaallisut, one of many Native languages of my land."

     The two made the trek back, a snow ball fight or two having been commenced in between the wide expanse of untouched land. Canada couldn't believe the amount of cities everyone had compared to her, yet many were miserable because of it. The red and white Country was running away from the blue and gold State as he stumbled upon a wide expanse of nothing, running into a blackened tree. He held his head, wondering where on Earth it came from, considering he could have sworn there were none past the tree line he had just escaped. Looking up, he saw why he thought that.

     Indeed there were many trees ahead, all dead, black and swaying in the slight wind that whisked broken branches away. The snow allowed little to hide from Canada's sight, apart from what was beneath it. Lowering to a single knee, he rummaged through the snow until he hit dirt, or rather, soot. There was no moss, no grass, just a blackened depth ready to be thawed. He brought a worried look up to Alaska, who was staring at the grave sight of her forest, gaze saddened.

         "What did this?" he questioned. The damage was vast, and tipped over the far hill.

         "Lightening strike," she answered, "No one was harmed, aside from a few animals cooked in their burrows."

Canada cringed, and stood, covering the blackened spot up again.

         "That's a relief... I think."

Alaska merely shrugged before smiling to her new-found friend, and changed the subject as she led the way back to her home.

         "So uh... how is America... taking all of this?" she asked hesitantly, knowing the answer, but wanting to hear it from his closest ally.

Canada sighed. 

         "He's been... better," he told her, "but he's been worse... I think."

She opened the door for him, and he thanked her, inviting the warm air onto his chilly face. The Country had seen her house earlier so it was... not as surprising to see the amount of oddities decorating the small cabin, but he always managed to find something new... like the bear trap he seemed to have missed hanging on the wall at the end of the hallway... Alaska gave him a cup of hot chocolate, and he thanked her.

         "I just wish I didn't have to do this," she admitted, her smile losing it's friendly and outgoing charm as it turned into a melancholy frown.

         "Well... I'm sure if you reconsidered... America wouldn't treat you the way he has." Canada offered with an awkward smile.

Alaska only shook her head, suddenly finding the taste of cocoa unappetizing as she put her own cup down.

         "He promised that already, and he broke it," she looked back to Canada, who looked to the State with interest, "August 1st, 1867. What was known as Seward's Folly, I was bought from my father. The Contiguous States claimed I was a mistake. I wasn't profitable. America thought otherwise. Then gold and oil was found on my land. I was so excited, I wasn't useless!" her smile was pained, an excited pain that showed hard work... all lost, "I should have hid my findings. America praised me for my work, then turned around just to sell it off. I don't have Federal taxes and others because of it, but it's useless now, especially with the economy going down hill as it is."

The Country raised a brow.

         "Then, why take this out on America? He has one of the best economies."

Alaska rolled her eyes, huffing.

         "Because he has piggy backed on my oil countless times, selling it to other Countries," she snapped, "Often without my permission on how much he sells. My reserves have almost run dry. What was once a flowing river of black gold is now barely enough to call a stream. I can no longer meet the demands of my Country, yet he has not changed such demands."

Canada saw the dilemma, and the fact that it had no other solutions, no safe solutions anyway. 

         "Aren't you being a little-"

         "Harsh?" Alaska finished for him, "Perhaps... but I'm tired of this long string of abuse. I am not ungrateful for what America has done for me. Far from it! He helped me through a very troubling time during World War 2, and saved me from my father. I don't want to hurt him..." 

     Looking to the picture on the wall, Alaska cried. As Germany stated, she looked so happy in those pictures. She wanted to be happy again, she wanted to smile with her father figure, play with him, throw snowballs and meet her siblings! If only she could relive that one day, over and over. Feel his warm embrace as he realized just how bad the abuse was after finding shards of glass covered by healing skin. Alaska had still reeked of her father's alcohol, yet America hugged her, and it didn't hurt. 

     She felt another warm embrace, not her step father's, but Canada's as he saw the torture she was putting herself through in order to be seen, valued, and cared for. His raccoon hat tilted back as he brought her close, and they both cried, Canada's tears an unsaid apology.