Pick and Choose

"Papa?" The young Alaska whispered, peering from behind her father toward the strange man with white, red and blue markings on his face. What was going on? Was this a new ally? 

The taller personification bent down, bringing her out from her hiding place as he pat her head, making sure her coat was on correctly, hiding the scars. He motioned with a finger to tell her to smile, and smiled back once he noted she had no showing pointed teeth. This would make the deal much easier. 

     Money was exchanged, and young Alaska watched as her father left her land, making no move to call for him, beg him to come back. She held no questions as to why he sold her, it was bound to happen. She was useless to him, her resources nearly depleted, her people ravaged and she... wasn't able to take much more abuse. A painful reminder that she was still healing came as this newcomer placed a gentle hand on her shoulder, and she flinched away. America frowned, his bowler hat and trench coat firmly pressed to his body as a gust of wind flew by, making everyone but the territory flinch at its painful stab. Alaska noted that the Country was still shivering, even under his coat, so did what her father said not to, and took off the far to big parka, walking around and placing it on his shoulders. The man smiled, nodding his thanks, until he saw the deep cuts and bruises, loosely bandaged, all over her now bare arms, up her neck, around her fingers, and probably down her tiny stick legs, covered in some sort of hide, as most of her native people wore.

     Reaching out a hand, the girl winced, stepping back, but America patiently waited, extended hand showing no threat. She neared, slowly, until he could turn her around, exposing multiple deep wounds as he further loosened the bandaging on her back, some still having shards of glass imbedded in her skin, covered over as her body repaired itself.

         "What did he do to you?" he turned her around again, seeing tears fall from her cute little face. Was it fear? Pain?

The Country could only bring her closer in a gentle hug as he whispered.

         "Never, shall you feel this abuse again..."

And her flag changed.

~.~

         "Vonderful!" Third applauded, reaching out to take the map of France, but Alaska hit his hands away before he could touch it.

         "How many times must I tell you?" she growled, teeth bared, "I make it, I keep it. If you so badly want your own, do it yourself."

         "Is zhat any vay to speak to your fah-ter?" He pointed an accusing finger, but this only made her growl.

         "You are no fadher of mine."

To this the Nazi menace only smiled sweetly, rounding the table to look at the woman straight on. Leaning against its edge, he spoke once more, as a father would his child.

         "Sveet thing, I am zhe closest to a fah-ter you vill ever have. Who helped you in your times of frustration? Who assured you vere not a monster, a freak of nature! Vhat Country made sure you vere not alone on hot nights filled wizh zhe screams of your people caught be-tvween zhe fires?"

Alaska shook, refusing to listen, but she couldn't help but hear him. He was the only one who ever showed compassion when most would have run away, sold her off, made her someone else's problem. Third helped her, Third let her be herself... with no price asked, nothing in return. He cared for her in those few measly years... he made an impact she'd never forget.

     A cold hand placed itself on her shoulder, the fabric of the uniform raging hot in comparison. Third Reich offered a cold glass of water, to which the State took eagerly, downing the glass as another heat wave ravaged her land, and she fell to her knees, reigning in a sob as she felt the death of another one of her citizens. 

         "I... need to help them..." she tried to get up, but was stopped by the red, white and black colored menace, who only gave her a worried expression.

         "You vill only hurt yourself further, schatz*," he advised, "you are no good to zhem dead."

         "Did you tell zhat to Hitler?" she cackled, and Third prickled. Never has she mocked him in such a way, then again she has only seen him once since the beginning of World War 2. He couldn't decide if he was proud that she gave in to such a torturous joke, or if he was enraged. The man decided to go for the first of two.

         "You're accent is getting stronger," he chuckled, "I vill make a German of you yet."

         "Good luck," she huffed, smoke escaping her mouth as she look up to the failed Country, a dangerous shimmer in her eye as she smiled with menacing teeth, "I am Russian at heart, Dhird Reich. Ah-nd ve are known for being stubborn."

     With this planted in his mind, Alaska stood, rolling the map into a cannister, before placing it in what was a wine wall, long emptied. 20 more filled the small holes in the wall. The blue and gold woman stood back, admiring her work. 21 of 195 countries demolished... and all this planning done in a mere 4 hours. Nothing held her back with Third Reich. No constant nagging in her mind that these were her friends, most of them. Out of sight, out of mind, and Third knew that. He knew her better than even USSR, and he was so proud of himself, but it only showed in a twisted smirk. With Alaska as his ally, he could rule the world! If he were to die, she could take over, follow in his foot steps. If only this woman were his daughter, if only he had offered to buy her off from America before he started the war, but he was to eager in this, and wanted her to betray the American. That would have hurt much worse. He wanted his way... and he would get it, but this would come at a cost, but for her, he would gladly excuse his old habits. He couldn't betray his treasure.

--------------------

*Schatz - Treasure (German)

The above picture was made by me, using colored pencil.