The Trust

Hermione almost fell out of her chair. "A-and your last name?" She asked carefully.

"You didn't tell me yours," Jade replied.

"Granger. Hermione Granger," Hermione replied. Wanting to know if this was the girl they had been searching for, she added, "And the boys that are over there are my best friends. The red-head is Ron Weasley and the one with black hair is Harry Potter."

Jade took a deep breath and replied, even if she didn't want to, "Jade Hull."

Jade's P.O.V.

The girl, Hermione, her face fell when she heard my last name. Why? Had I already done something wrong? But she really looked like she cared... I still find myself wondering how I have any hope left at this point...

Ever since I left the hospital, I had been on the streets. When someone finally took me in, I was locked in a room and abused and taken advantage of.

I had just ran away last week, getting back to being on the streets when that man found me. The same one that kept me captive. I was terrified of him, what he was going to do to me. When I woke up, I was safe though. I don't know what happened. Then this nice lady helped me. But I had messed it up already.

I prepared myself to be beaten.

"Why are you so tense? And curled up in a ball?" She asked me. I peered over at her, and she hadn't made any move to hit me.

I stared up blankly at her, trying to figure her out. "We're not going to hurt you, you know? Your safe here," She told me.

I felt something that I don't remember ever feeling before. It was like a warm blanket on a cold winter day. Cuddling up in front of the fire... Happiness.

Wait! I remembered something!!! This never happens!!! I've been cuddled up in front of a fire before. I remember that and an arm around my waist. The memory brought me comfort.

3rd P.O.V.

Hermione saw how her eyes lit up after what she said. Without warning, Jade sat up fully and hugged Hermione.

Jade was shocked by her own actions. But the hug felt so right to her. She couldn't remember being held in someone's arms. She didn't remember what it felt like. But it felt to good. Well, not good... Marvelous! Excellent! It felt like she mattered.

Hermione hugged her back, unsure at first but starting to grin more and more. She pulled away and Jade acted very awkward. "S-sorry..."

"Nah, don't be! Everyone needs hugs from time to time... Especially in times like these..." Hermione muttered the last part under her breath, thinking Jade couldn't hear. Little did either of them know, that Jade being able to hear what Hermione said was a sign of who she was.

"Hey, do you want to help us make dinner? We're having canned soup tonight... And really every night..." Harry asked, popping his head in.

"Sure, I'm coming, Harry," Hermione agreed. They both turned and looked at me. "You rest. You need to heal. You have some nasty wounds... I cleaned them up a bit... I hope you don't mind..." Hermione said awkwardly.

"It's fine," Jade replied softly, not looking away from Harry but avoiding eye contact at all costs.

. . .

Over the course of the next two weeks, the Trio has grown close to Jade as had Jade to the Trio. They haven't told Jade about their hunt for Jade Turner, but they were full of stress knowing that they would have to move soon, thus leaving Jade behind.

One night, they were all eating their dinner together. Tonight was canned chicken noodle soup! Jade hasn't stepped outside since she came. That seemed odd to her that they didn't let her leave, but she didn't question it much. Everyone has their secrets. And plus, they've been so nice to her that she didn't want to cause any trouble...

As they were eating, Ron tried to start conversation. "So, um Jade... What do you do for a living?" He asked.

I shuttered. "Nothing..." Was all I said. They seemed surprised by that answer.

"Where do you live?" Harry tried to ask to make the situation less awkward for me. Wrong choice.

"No where..." I murmured, staring at my bowl of preserved soup. Once again, they seemed shocked.

"W-why?" Hermione asked uncertainly. "I mean, I could try to help you get a job.... Once the... is done..." I didn't catch the word in the middle.... Strange....

I just shrugged. "Ever since I got out of the hospital... I-I've had a hard time getting a job..."

"What were you in the hospital for?" Harry asked, interested.

"I-I don't remember the accident, really... It was a car accident or so I've been told..." Jade explained.

"How long were you in the hospital?" Ron asked.

"About 7 years... Then I was put into recovery which took almost 5 years. Then I went to a home for insane people where I stayed for another 25 years. Then.... I was kicked out.... And was on the streets ever since..."

"Over 30 years..." Ron murmured.

"Why were you kicked out and why were you even there in the first place?" Harry asked.

"I-I remember the person in charges' dress caught fire and was blamed on me. She never liked me, so I was the most convenient to get rid of... And I was out there because weird things happen when I'm around. I'm abnormal," I said shyly, shrugging in the process.

"Wait.... Back it up... You said you can't remember your accident.... Can you not remember anything else?" Hermione asked. Harry and Ron gave her funny looks.

"Oh... erm... Well... I can't remember my life before the accident," She admitted.

Then it all clicked in Hermione's brilliant brain...