Aquainted -The Weeknd

Weeks passed by and I get more acquainted with the other new programs. I'm in an acting program, cooking program and poetry. Its nice to meet people outside of my block and it makes me feel welcomed. Kayla and I have gotten extremely close. Its as if the incident shifted our entire friendship. Now, shes like my bestfriend I feel like I can tell her anything because she witnessed a side of me that I didn't even see myself.

I was on my way to acting class reading my lines when I bump into someone. Papers are flying every and I know immediately my monologue is gone. I feel myself getting upset then notice the tons of papers on the ground and decide to help out instead. I start picking up papers and hand it to the person before noticing its Ms.Lewis. I roll my eyes remembering our last session how she thought she knew so much about me.

"Its nice to see you again Jordan" She extends her hand towards mine for a handshake.
"You too" I say while crossing my arms.
Ms.Lewis looked bewildered and it intensified her glare, as if she was trying to get a psychological read on me. I break the glare by telling her I to have a good day and keep walking. I walk into class and I take my seat. As the other classmates go up I realize I don't have my monologue to review. My heart starts beating and I can feel myself getting anxiety. I try to remember my lines. I been standing with you I been here 18 years of my life. My mind goes blank and my heart continues to race. The teacher calls my name and I sit still.
"Jordan" she continues.
"Jordan I know you're going to be amazing you been practicing your lines are memorized you are just as amazing as Viola Davis in Fences even if you don't think so I know you're ready come up and show us what you got".
I don't say anything my heart is still racing but my anxiety has gone down. Ms. Harrison looks into my face and instead of continuing she lets it go allowing others to perform and not mentioning it after class.

I walk straight into my cell and lay on the bed. I think about how all of this is Ms.Lewis' fault I was so excited to perform that monologue. Even though I couldn't relate to Rose in every way I felt so much like her. Kayla walks in and interrupts my thoughts and starts talking.

"I'm so sorry I couldnt come to watch you today, we made the best mac and cheese today girl we werent allowed to eat too much but I'm telling you it tasted like heaven compared to everything we've eaten here. I know you did amazing though my young Viola you know I love Fences its one of my favorite plays of all time my favorite part is when—"
She stops examining me for a second.
"You okay?"
"I'm fine"
"You dont even believe that"
"I saw Ms.Lewis today"
"How was that"
"Its her fault Kayla!" I saw angrily.
"Her fault?"
"Her fault Kayla she bumped into me and I dropped my script and I couldn't remember anything"
"Nothing?"
"Nothing Kayla all I could remember is I been standing here 18 years of my life and thats not even the beginning Kayla" I start with tears in my eyes
"Its okay Jordan you're an amazing actress Ms.Harrison said so and you know so"
"I guess"
"Well I like Ms.Lewis, I've actually been going to counseling and its really been helping me out with my depression, I stopped crying everyday and I am more motivated to go throughout my day. Theres so many things she helped me uncover about myself my family"
"Kayla I don't care"
"Okay Jordan but I'm just saying don't knock it until you try it"
"I tried it Kayla she was chattin up her mouth"
"Try it again 2nd times the charm"
"No Kayla"
"Jordan you know what my mom would say? yuh too bright uno cyan chat and cyant listen stick bruk inna yuh ears"
"What does that mean?"
"You're stubborn Jordan"
"I am not"
"Just try again it can't hurt"
"I'm going to sleep Kayla"

I start reading to try to help me go to sleep when someone walks up to our cell. I don't look up assuming its one of the guards. I don't pay attention to the first couple things she says until I hear Kayla saying my name.

"Jordan she ask if she can read the book Educated" Kayla says. I reach over to grab the book and look up. I've never seen this girl before so I'm confused as to why shes here.
"And you are?" I ask
"Paris" she says
"Remember I told you about Paris shes in another cell she comes to the cooking program on days you go to acting thats why you guys have never met"
"Oh" I respond
"Well here you go" I say as I hand her the book
"Is it amazing" Paris asks
"Amazing is an understatement" I explain
"Like you" she looks at me licking her lips.
I roll my eyes I don't like when people just hit on me just because we're here and everybody's horny they think it'll land. With me it never does
"I'm straight but thanks"
"I wasnt trying to hit on you its just Kayla speaks so highly of you I would love for us to build a friendship"
"Well read Educated and if we can have an intellectually stimulating conversation maybe we can be friends"
"Deal" I say while shaking her hand.
Paris leaves and I go back to reading my book.