Chapter 35: Charlie Part VII

Chapter 35 Charlie Part VII Public Accolades

Irene stood in front of us with a long, black and white robe giving her the appearance of a nun. For an old woman, she had a small torso, wide hips, and a face that still looked young except for the wrinkles around her eyes. If not for the nun outfit, wrinkles, and gray hair, I would of thought she was a bikini model. The outfit clung to her body tighter than what it should.

We gathered around Jasmine, all decked out in our new outfits. Each of us showing the symbols of the decease angels within us and the elements we represent.

"What did you do to them?" Jasmine kept her sword in front of her.

"What do you mean?"

"She means, that we're grateful that you chose us as the victors, but why?" I went to stand by Jasmine. Hoping that no one notices my trembling.

"Oh, They fought the angels to a standstill. You killed the angels. I believe that makes you stronger than them. They're not dead mind you. My power allows me to store a matter in a pocket dimension."

"Imhotep," I paused. "He died looking for you."

"I know, he won't leave me alone."

"He was trying to save you." Bruce's voice was soft but strong.

"I don't want to be saved. I ran from home because I failed my family. I don't deserve to be with them. He found me and each time we were attacked by demons. He's the reason I'm here."

"So, you're a judge, like us? Shawn kept looking around for traps."

"Yes. I knew about my powers for a while. My daughter died in an accident that I could have teleported us out of. So, I left. I couldn't face my guilt. My husband and son are better off without me."

"Are you crazy?" I questioned as Imhotep's memory flashed in my head. I could see the conversations he had with her. The three times he saved her from demons.

"So, now you work with Lillith?"

"I don't have a choice."

"There are always choices." Jasmine's voice seemed to determine and optimistic. "I've learned that today."

She paced back to the door. "Leave me alone, I'm not going back." A portal opened and she disappeared into it. We looked at each other.

"Imhotep saved her three times and she still wouldn't go back to her family. What do we do now?" I asked Jasmine.

"No matter what, a confrontation with Lillith is still imminent." Shawn crossed his arms.

"Imhotep believed in us and even though he is a fallen angel, he still believed in God. The others did too. We are going to fight her and when we survive, she will go home." Jasmine walked towards the door. The others followed and I took up the rear. Looking back I found myself admiring Imhotep's persistence. His battles replaying in my head. His feelings. His dedication.

I promised to not let his sacrifice be in vain. He gave his all to save Irene. To help us, when we didn't want it. I hope Jasmine is right, that Irene would come around if we defeat Lillith. I closed the door and said a silent prayer.