𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

SEVARA'S MOTHER HAD always taught her to be careful what she wished for. Whether it a new pair of mittens or rain for the harvest, her mother had always taught her of consequences that can arise from certain wishes. For Sevara, it turned out that the prospect of 'someday', had come sooner than she had anticipated.

She had given fixing the vaporator another try, this time with Kuiil's help and had been at it the entire afternoon. As dusk settled across the rocks, Sevara had climbed down from the towering machine and started towards her home to begin cooking their dinner for that evening when she saw a familiar figure suited head to toe in armour approaching the farm, alongside a white pod suspended in midair.

Kuiil seemed to have sensed his presence too, stating, "I thought you were dead."

The man didn't reply, only lowered his gaze as Kuiil braced himself on the railing and burned his own into him. Sevara took a step towards the man, glancing at the pod that trailed his every move. "Is that your bounty?"

"Yes," he said, turning to face her, "I need your help."

"Of course, anything," said Sevara as she brushed a strand of hair from her forehead and tiptoed towards the pod, unsure of what it contained. She looked to the man, "What's inside it?"

He shrugged, pressing a button on the side of the pod, "Take a look for yourself."

She leaned over, her lips parting in an inaudible gasp at the sight. Large, brown eyes stared back into her own, blinking and gazing at the sight of her. The small creature lay swaddled among beige blankets, a stark contrast to the emerald hue of it's slightly textured skin, with wisps of fair hair decorating it's crown. It's tiny button nose scrunched at the sight of Sevara, and an inexplainable feeling caught and tugged at her heart as she slowly brought her hand towards the creature, her gaze fixed on the three fingers that latched onto her own.

Her throat tightened as her face became hot with the sting of salty tears threatening to rise, along with the memories of her most helpless hour circulating in her mind. The creature— no, the child, softly cooed and unable to suppress it no longer, a sob escaped Sevara's lips, smiling at the child as it gazed into her eyes.

A gentle hand pressed against her shoulder and Sevara glanced to her side to see Kuiil, his head bowed as he asked, "Are you alright?"

She nodded, using her free hand to wipe at her face, "Yeah— I'm... I'm okay."

As Sevara turned back to the child, she stopped short at the man's fixed gaze on her. He tilted his head, a moment passing before he asked, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," she said, glancing back to the child as she eased her finger from it's grip. "I'm fine. I'll, uh— I'll just go ahead and start dinner, shall I?"

The man simply stared, watching as Sevara ran a finger over the smooth skin of the child's cheek before bidding goodbye and advancing towards the house. Once inside and certain she was out of sight, Sevara slumped against the reinforced walls of her home, her body shaking with sobs as a tidal wave of memories she had buried deep within her mind, flashed across her vision, forcing her to relive the horrific experience she was went through in the year she spent in the spice mines of Kessel.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

AFTER A HALF hour or so, Sevara re-emerged from the house with a pot of stew in hand, along with wooden bowls and spoons she had crafted for Kuiil as a thank you for providing her a home. The child had been released from it's pod and was wandering about freely, chasing after a frog of some kind.

She heard Kuiil ask the man, "This is what was causing all the fuss?"

The man nodded as he tinkered with the armour on his forearm, which sparked and crackled with blue. "I think it's a child".

"It is better to deliver it alive, then."

Sevara halted, narrowing her eyes at the man, "You were going to kill it?"

He turned to her, shaking his head. "I didn't know what it was at the time. They told me it was a fifty-year-old specimen."

"But now you do, right? You understand that this creature is just a baby, however old others claim it to be?"

He raised his hands in surrender, "I'm just doing my job. Besides, I can't take it anywhere if I don't have a ship."

Sevara raised a brow, setting down the pot and utensils atop the rocks, asking, "How did you get here then?"

"My ship has been destroyed, I'm trapped here."

"Stripped," said Kuiil, collecting a tool from his workstation. "Not destroyed." He approached the man, passing the tool to him. "The Jawas steal. They don't destroy."

"Stolen or destroyed, makes no difference to me," he said, glancing to the child as it toddled towards the frog. "They're protected by their crawling fortress. There's no way to recover the parts."

Sevara watched as the child caught the frog between it's tiny hands, exclaiming in delight. She heard Kuiil tell the man, "You can trade."

"With Jawas? Are you out of your mind?"

"I will take you to them," Kuiil said. "I have spoken."

"Oh no, honey, don't do that," said Sevara as she crouched down and approached the child who had begun to consume it's captured frog whole.

"Hey!" The man said, looking to the child, "spit that out."

The child gulped, looking up to the man with it's big, round eyes, giggling to itself as it burped. Sevara couldn't help but grin as the child glanced back at her, approaching her with small steps. She extended out her arms, catching the child as it stumbled over the length of its coat and held it close to her chest.

Sevara glanced up at the man, who momentarily had his eyes fixed on the child in her arms before meeting her gaze. She tilted her head, asking, "So, what do they call you?"

He shrugged, "Different people call me different things."

"What should I call you?"

He shrugged, "I don't mind. I get 'Mando' a lot, so I suppose that will do."

"Well, Mando," she said, feeling her lips tug upwards, "it's nice to officially meet you. My name's Sevara, in case you were wondering."

"It's nice to meet you too, Sevara."

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

okay so i know not a lot happened this chapter and it was basically just an excuse for me to write about baby yoda, but everyone loves baby yoda so it's kind of a win-win situation.

anyway, thank you for reading and please don't hesitate to let me know what you think!