𝐬𝐢𝐱

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

THE CREATURE ROSE from within the shadows, it's gaze fixed on the two of them as it stared down its enormous horn. Mando kept his eyes on the beast as he squeezed Sevara's hand, slowly pushing her backwards as they attempted to retreat to the mouth of the cave. Sevara was careful not to alert the beast, but as they were unable to see where they were stepping, Mando accidentally caught his foot between hers and they stumbled over each other, landing in a heap on the cool stone ground with a dull, thump.

A deep growl erupted from the creature as it stepped backwards, readying itself to charge. Mando sprang into action, quickly rising to his feet as he aimed his rifle at the mud-crusted body of the beast, shooting an array of golden towards it, with red shots adding to the crossfire as Sevara joined him. A moment passed before they understood that the beast wasn't going down without a fight. As it reared up, balancing on its hind legs, Mando reached out and pulled Sevara tightly to his chest. He curved his body around hers, with one hand digging into her waist and the other to her head as he pressed her temple into his chest plate, protecting her with his beskar as the beast charged towards them.

Sevara clamped her eyes shut as they were launched into the air, clinging tight to Mando as their fall induced a stomach-dropping sensation. A groan escaped them both as they landed with a thud outside the cave, skidding through the mud. Still, Mando held her close, breaking her fall.

She rose her head, meeting Mando's gaze as he looked to her as well, telling him, "Thank you."

His grip on her tightened as they sat up, replying, "Don't thank me yet."

Emerging from the depths of the cave came the beast, though in the mid-morning light Sevara was able to identify it as a Mudhorn. The two of them shot to their feet, with Mando bringing his rifle to his chest as he pulled on it, releasing a huff of frustration when nothing happened.

"What's wrong?" Sevara asked, her gaze fixed on the approaching beast.

"It's not working— hey, move!" Mando yelled, pushing her out of harms way as the Mudhorn charged at him, launching him in the air once more.

"Mando!" Sevara cried, wasting no time in aiming her blaster at the beast and shooting wildly.

The Mudhorn paused, turning it's gaze towards her as it scanned it's surroundings. Sevara furrowed her brows, watching as it's line of sight passed over her, instead focusing on the child. Her train of thought stopped as she sprinted towards the pod, halting only as Mando drove the child away from the Mudhorn, the creature slamming into the rocks before it.

From across the field, Sevara saw Mando release a spray of flames as the beast charged towards him, pressing it's horn against his chest and pinning him to the ground. Sevara called out to the Mudhorn, "Hey, over here you big oaf!"

Raising her blaster once more, she narrowed her eyes at the beast as she pulled the trigger. The Mudhorn turned to her, a malicious glint in it's eyes as it twisted it's entire body around, charging for her instead. Sevara could hear the thud of her heart echo in her bones as she took off towards the rocks. The beast charged at her as she sprinted across the field in zig zags, feeling her legs burn and her chest tighten, vaguely registering Mando's voice, shouting, "Sevara!"

She had no time to answer as she felt the breath knocked out of her, the sudden impact of the Mudhorn crashing into her like a tidal wave. A sharp, snagging sensation ran down the length of Sevara's upper arm as she was flung against the rocks, sliding down the jagged surface with a foggy haze clouding her vision, then— darkness.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

SHE AWOKE MOMENTS later, to a bitter stinging in her arm. Cradling her limb, Sevara pulled herself into an upright position and felt the hairs on her neck rise as she turned to see the child gazing down at her. Mando must've sent it beside her as he finished off the Mudhorn, and Sevara watched as he kneeled before the beast, his grip unsteady as he raised his knife towards the oncoming attacker.

She shut her eyes tight, unable to watch the outcome of the collision. But when she heard nothing, no grunting, no impact and no sound that indicated they had fought, Sevara's eyes fluttered open and an inaudible gasp left her lips.

Suspended in midair, the Mudhorn swayed and struggled against an invisible force. Mando rose to his feet, backing away from the beast as he circled it, as if to understand what was happening. Covered head to toe in mud and muck, he turned around, his head tilting as he fixed his gaze on the child. Sevara followed his line of sight, eyes wide as she watched the small hand of the child command the Mudhorn, it's eyes closed in concentration and three fingers shaking.

The Mudhorn was released, landing heavily on the slick rocks and Mando took the opportunity to drive his weapon into the creatures temple. The child sunk back into it's pod, it's eyes still closed but breathing steady. Mando grunted, twisting his knife further into the Mudhorn then taking a step back, his gaze settling on the child.

With small steps, he approached the two of them, staring at the child. Sevara slowly rose, taking the hand Mando offered to her as he helped her to her feet, the both of the battered and bruised. He briefly turned to her, looking at her red-stained sleeve, saying, "You're hurt."

"I could say the same about you," said Sevara, noting the way his chest plate hung perpendicular, held on by only a thin piece of metal.

"I'll be fine," he said, "I've been through worse."

A smile played on her lips, recalling how she had previously told him the same thing. It faltered though as her gaze drifted to the child, deep in slumber and asked, "What do you think happened?"

"I'm not sure," admitted Mando, "But I'm sure we'll find out soon. Once I get the Egg and get my ship back."

On their way back to the fortress, Mando had stepped back into the cave momentarily to retrieve the Egg before joining Sevara and the child on their journey back. They stood side by side, arms brushing against each other's as they walked back in silence, still in shock at the spectacle the child displayed.

Sevara glanced to the pod beside Mando, watching the rise and fall of the child's chest as it followed them undisturbed. After witnessing it save Mando's life, Sevara couldn't help but wonder if it's abilities are what initiated the bounty placed upon its head in the first place, and how she could aid in protecting the child from people who would abuse it's gifts. She could feel a bond growing with the child and as much as she wished she didn't, she felt one growing with the bounty hunter beside her, too.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

i'd like to thank everyone who has read this story, because today we reached 1K reads!! it means so much to me that people have given my fic a chance, so from the bottom of my heart, thank you <3

also as i promised, this chapter is dedicated to once of my best friends, ella. thank you for being such an amazing person and i love you!!