𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

STANDING BEFORE THE crowd of villagers, the three of them gazed into many wary, scared, but hopeful eyes. Beneath the warm glow of the afternoon, their hand-spun clothes that were rich in colour radiated with vibrant hues of blues, greys and sea foam greens. Beside Sevara, Mando took a half-step forward, telling the small band, "Bad news. You can't live here anymore."

Many raised their brows, including Sevara. A chorus of 'what's' and 'why's" circulated through the crowd and in her peripheral, Sevara watched as Cara's lips tugged at the corners, glancing to Mando and as she said, "Nice bedside manner."

"Think you can do better?"

"Can't do much worse," said Cara, stepping forward on the platform and informing the villagers, "I know this is not the news you wanted to hear, but there are no other options."

"You took the job!" Hair, one of the men who had pleaded for their aid, called from within the crowd. Shoulders slumping, an inkling of guilt began to seep into Sevara's veins, choosing to shift her gaze from the worried faces before her and directing her attention back to Cara.

"That was before we knew about the AT-ST."

"What is that?"

"The armoured walker with two enormous guns that you knew about and didn't tell us," said Cara, her eyes narrowing.

Once more, a swell of protest swarmed through the villagers. Catching sight of Omera, hugging her daughter close, Sevara bowed her head as the woman spoke, "We have nowhere to go."

"Sure you do," said Cara. "This is a big planet. I mean, I've seen a lot smaller—"

"My grandmother seeded these ponds," said Hat, his body drooping slightly as he gazed up towards the former rebel.

With a set jaw, Hair added, "It took generations."

"I understand, I do, but there are only. . ." Cara paused, glancing back to Sevara who gave her a steady nod, moving her her palm to the hilt of her blaster and resting it against the metal. "Only three of us."

Hair raised a brow, saying, "No there's not, there's at least. . . twenty here!"

"I mean fighters. Be realistic!"

"We can learn!" He called, looking to his friend.

Hat nodded, saying, "We can!"

"Give us a chance!"

"Please!"

Cara had had enough. Sevara watched as the woman seethed, "I've seen that thing take out entire companies of soldiers in a matter of minutes."

"It's true," said Sevara, taking a step forward beside Cara, surveying the murmuring villagers as she continued, "these machines were among the ones that took out the Base I was stationed at. There's no way we're able to go against it. Not now, at least."

"We're not leaving," Omera stated, her gaze hard as it flicked between Sevara and the former rebel by her side.

"You cannot fight that thing," said Cara.