𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

THE LIGHT OF midday shone its way through the shutters of the barn, streaming down in iridescent beams across the floorboards. Sitting cross-legged on the wood, Sevara dug through the crates they had brought with them to the village, observing the array of weaponry inside of them. She glanced to Mando, quirking a brow as she asked, "Do you really need all of this?"

"Yes," he replied, pulling his rifle from his back and leaning it against a set of shallow stairs that lead to a narrow platform, adding, "we don't know what's out here."

Her lips tugged upwards as she offered, "How about. . . smiling children?" Mando glanced back at her, his head tilting as Sevara sighed, rising from her spot on the ground and stepping towards the open shutters. She gazed out to the village before them, saying, "Take a look outside, will you? There's nothing to be afraid of here."

He moved to join her, scanning the horizon of happy faces and loving families as he said, "Maybe not here, but those Raiders could come back at any time. We need to be prepared."

"Always a ray of sunshine, aren't you?" Sevara teased, nudging Mando in the side as she travelled over to the hand-crafted bassinet the woman from earlier, who's name she had learnt to be Omera, had delivered to them. The child stood inside, with his small hands clasped around the edge of the bassinet, cooing as Sevara approached and lifted him up, pulling him close to her chest. Gazing down at the child, she ran a delicate finger over his cheek, asking, "Can you say 'Sevara'?"

Mando stepped towards the two of them as the child simply stared at her, asking, "Are we even sure he speaks Basic? Or if he even speaks at all?"

Sevara shrugged, "Can't hurt to try, can it?" Looking to the child, she said, "Come on, I know you can do it. Mando, tell him he can do it."

With a soft sigh, he nodded and turned to the child, saying him, "Go on. You can do it."

His ears perked up at the sound of Mando's voice, to which Sevara told him, "See? Even our big, scary Mandolorian says you can. Let's try again, alright? Can you say 'Sevara'?" The child smiled, gurgling as he reached up and grazed her jaw with his blunt claws. Sevara grinned, turning to Mando as she said, "I think he got it!"

"Really? Because that sounded more like an 'Ooga' to me."

She feigned shock, shaking her head as she said, "He was trying his hardest, okay? Remember, he's only a baby."

"A fifty year old baby," Mando reminded her, though Sevara could hear the smile in his voice as her nose scrunched, lightly nudging him in the side with her elbow.

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾

"KNOCK, KNOCK," SPOKE a voice from the doorway.

"Come in," said Mando, tearing his gaze from Sevara and back to his rifle that sat stationary as Omera stepped inside the barn. Her daughter scurried in behind her, careful not to bump into her mother as she set a tray of food down, turning to the two of them with a smile.

Winta glanced up at her mother, waiting for Omera's approval as she feebly asked Sevara, "Can I feed him?"

With a soft smile, she nodded, saying, "Of course."