19. When the Levee Breaks

Today. I thought today was going to be better than yesterday but it isn't. I had a nightmare. I haven't had a nightmare since the late 1880s. I thought I had gotten rid of them but they're back now. I've always hated these dreams because I would cry in my sleep and I'd wake up not remembering a single thing. I only know they're nightmares because I'd wake up absolutely terrified and in tears.

"Ava?"

"Love?"

"Wake up."

"Ava!"

My eyes flew open and I was gasping for air when my eyes met Nik who looked so worried. He doesn't say anything he just holds me tightly as I buried my face in the side of his neck.

I felt the need to cry even more but I didn't know what to cry about. This feeling in my chest hurt like I wanted to curl up in a ball and cry because of how scared I was. I hated feeling like this. I hated that a nightmare that I don't even remember is making me feel like this.

"Please don't leave me." I whispered so low that if I wasn't this close to him I'm not sure he would've heard me.

"I'm not going anywhere, love." He whispered soothingly as he ran his fingers through my hair. "I'm not leaving you."

Dreams are a very rare occurrence for me. I'll maybe have one dream every few decades. I don't know why but it doesn't bother me. I used to have nightmares constantly but as time passed I had them every now and then until they were completely gone.

"Everything is okay. I'm here." He says rubbing my back to calm me down.

I was breathing hard and my heart was racing. My irregular breathing patterns sounded like I couldn't breathe or that I was about to cry.

Nik whispered soothing things, calming me down. He'd switch from running his fingers through my hair and rubbing my back while he held me tightly.

I pulled away from his neck after I felt calm and he was this worried look on his face. He's never seen me had a nightmare and I feel embarrassed that he had to see me like that.

I moved my hand over to his cheek when we noticed the blood on it. I probably dug my fingernails into my palms until they bled when I was dreaming. Nik doesn't say anything he just grabs it holding it tightly.

"Do you want to talk about it?" He asks, the same thing I would ask him after he had a nightmare and I shook my head no. Even if I did want to talk about it what would I tell him? I don't remember anything. "Are you okay?"

"I don't know. I guess." I told him, honestly. I'm not good nor am I bad but I feel better than I did a couple of minutes ago. "I think I'm okay."

He smiles a small smile as he places his hand on my cheek, caressing it with his thumb before he pressed his lips against mine.

"Thank you."

"Thanking me for kissing you? Is this like a business deal?" He asks, smirking at me. "Sealing the deal with a kiss? Sounds very unprofessional, Mrs. Mikaelson."

I couldn't help but smile at him.

"I mean, thank you for helping me and for asking how I was. And for kissing me." I added and he chuckles.