Chapter Two

After the laces are securely tied, Mary makes me step into a powder blue travel dress made of a robust material and modest features. She tightens the laces and sits me at my vanity, brushing through my brown and auburn mass as it tumbles down my back to my waist in curls. Mary leaves my hair open except for some shorter strands that are pull back and meet in a small braid at the back of my head.

I hear the familiar sound of horse hooves hitting the yard and run to my window to see Frank who waves up at my window and nods, a smile on his aged face. I smile, excited, and Mary gives me a pair of black shoes with golden buckles. I race down the stairs, emotions filling me like birds about to burst out of a cage.

My father stands at the door, arms open and I run into them, even with heeled shoes barely being able to look over his shoulder. I kiss his forehead and he kisses mine in return, we stay in each other's embrace in silence for a while, a tinge of guilt about leaving him alone poking at my heart, I am the only family member that has stayed home and is alive.

Outside, I hear Vesper call and walk outside to see him fighting against William, another stable hand. I run up to them and put my hands on Vesper face, making him look at me.

William backs away as Vesper kicks his powerful legs and shakes his head. I grab his head again and rest my forehead on his,

"Shhh... We are going on an adventure."
He knickers, still slightly on edge and I lead him to the carriage, my hands around his eyes. I start to whisper to him in French, the language that only we understand,

"Je te guiderai."
(I will guide you)

He knickers again and I push against his shoulder softly, telling him to step back. As Frank wraps the girth around Vesper's sides, he stomps his hooves and I coo,

"Tu dois le porter, mais plus tard nous pouvons faire un tour."
(You have to wear it, but later we can go for a ride)

He settled and Honey, one of our calmest horses settles beside him, nudging his neck with her nose.

Behind me, I hear William and Derek talk,

"That bond..."

"Its amazing isn't it?"

"I've never seen anything like it."

I smile as I put the carriage bridle slowly on to Vesper as Frank puts the other carriage bridle on Honey. I then move around the carriage and sit on the cushioned bench of my father's barouche with a book at hand. I turn back to the house and see my father, as he waves, tears pooling around his watery blue eyes and making my eyes begin to drop heavy tears as I wave back at him. Frank jumps up to the front bench and starts the horses, trotting out of the yard as we head to where the royals reside.

<<>>

When my book is close to the end and the carriage gently halts, I hear a voice ahead.

"What is this visit in reference to?"
A guard, loud and stoic stands by Vesper and I sense his unease until the guard walks closer to Frank and the carriage. Frank replies, equally stoic but slightly quieter,

"Ms. Willow Sommers, here as lady in waiting for Lady Harper Sommers."
The guard commands the gates to be opened and I look behind the guard. Big golden gates open to reveal the grand palace. There is a large, clean courtyard in the middle with a small lake and around it a long white building, wrapping around three sides of the square courtyard. The building has golden details and doors with windows of all shapes and sizes that have navy blue shutters.

On the east side of the building is where the royals reside and in the shadow of the building is a large private garden that is cut off by a forest. On the west side is where the guests and debutantes reside and there is another garden on that side, only this one is filled with light because it is still in the afternoon sun.

The carriage starts moving again and the horses trot around the small lake, stopping right in front of the staircase that leads to three people, only one of which is familiar, the others are a maid and footman. The said footman runs down the stairs and opens the carriage door before offering his hand, which I gladly accept as I get off the carriage.

"Thank you,"
The footman releases my hand and smiles, clearly appreciating my thanks. I turn to Frank and embrace him, before whispering into his ear,

"Sir Frank, could you please take Vesper to the stables, I wish to have him here with me."
He nods and waves me farewell and I return the wave. I then turn again to the steps and walk to them, standing in front of the first one. I look up the dozen stairs at my formal looking sister, her face in a calm smile and her hands neatly placed in front of her. When our eyes meet we start to run to each other's arms, laughing and embracing each other tightly.

Harper and I are complete opposites in appearance and most everything else. She has bright golden hair that falls down to her beneath her shoulders in a straight manner and fair skin that flushes red whenever she is embarrassed or laughing. In comparison, I have darker skin from riding so much in the sun and dark curly hair that runs all the way to my hips. Even our figures differ, her's being tall, feminine and elegant, which is perfect for a lady searching for a husband and mine being short, slim and toned, which is more perfect for horse riding than husband searching.

The one thing the two of us have in common are our eyes. They are both big and curious with splashes of green, blue and gold in them which is an exact blend of our mother's and father's eyes.

As we break apart from our embrace I recognize from the sky that it is around three in the afternoon, meaning I have about two or three hours before the sky darkens. I suppose I should rise Vesper as soon as possible so to not get lost in the dark.

My eyes land on my sister again before drifting to the maid, who motions for us to follow her and for the footman and the butler that appeared moments ago to carry the trunks to where she leads us.

The palace is fabulous, outside white, gold and blue and inside similar colours with the addition of grey and cream. The vast entryway has two curved staircases leading to the next floor that had a set of oak doors that both are covered with opalescent blue rugs that cover the cold marble floors.

My head spins every which way, taking everything in as we walk further into the palace. We walk up to the second floor and down a long corridor, which is decorated with paintings and statues, before going up another staircase. When we reach stop at a floor that is completely isolated I stop in awe.

At the end of the corridor, there is an arch that opens to a sitting room with gold, white and cream furnishings with six doors along the walls and a large window overlooking the west gardens.

"Miss Willow, you will be with Miss Harper in the suite that is the last one on the left. You reside in the west wing with the other debutantes and ladies in waiting. You all have private suits with a sitting room and sleeping quarters. There is also this grand sitting room, which is for all the debutantes and ladies in waiting. The shelves are filled with books for the ladies to read. Everything else that you need to know you can learn from your sister or the servants."

I nod, unable to speak and the maid leaves.

My trunks are brought to my sister's suite which is a hydrangea coloured sitting room that views the southern garden that are for the royals, debutantes and events that are held here. There is one door on the west wall that leads to Harper's room and one door on the east wall that leads to mine and the other ladies in waiting's sleeping quarters.

I sink on to the soft cream couch, holding a gold embroidered cushion close to my chest, a smile still on my face.