Chapter Eighteen

After our luncheon in the conservatory, it was decided that Bash and my courting will stay private for as long as it can be drawn out, which is an immense relief to me. 

And after that, time rushes passed. The months of summer pass like a gust of wind, leaving me breathless. The months of autumn pass slower, the day of Daniel's decision coming closer and in those months, I also became closer to the Royals, dining with them often and riding with them every Sunday morning and every other morning with just Bash.

Then winter comes. The months which I dread because riding becomes more of a mission. And that is what I find myself doing now, questioning if I want to go ride in the frigid temperature or stay in the library by the fireplace with a blanket over my lap and Bash holding me close to him as I read a book. But that query escapes my thoughts when I remember what date it is, December 10th, the day my mother died. My body tenses,

"Willow? What's wrong?"

"I-uh-I need to go... For a ride."

"Do you really think you should go for a ride?"

"Y-yes, I need to go."

He wraps his other arm around me and pulls me closer to him, taking in the smell of almonds and honey which he says is in my hair. I take a shaky breath, his warmth causing me to melt,
"I'm not letting go until you tell me what is wrong."

"My mother... she -uhm- died three years ago on this day."

He pulls away and places his hands on my cheeks, gently drying the tears that have already started flowing.

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start crying. I'm going to go."

He puts his arms around my waist,
"No, you are going to stay. And do whatever helps you feel better, talk about her, cry, read, whatever helps."

He smiles and takes his book and mine, putting them on the side table. He then embraces me and I start to sob, tears that I have tried to hide away, start falling. Ever since I met Bash, I have cried more and have let myself cry. Usually I hold it back, trying to help others before me.

When I have no more tears, Bash smiles at me, his hand still rubbing circles on my back,
"Better?"

I nod and wipe away the tears,
"I'm going to make you feel even better, if not now, later today,"

I smile and sit up, standing up. Bash suddenly stiffens and looks up turning to the door. I give him a questioning look and he places a finger on his lips. I nod and he stands up, walking to the door silently. He opens it and starts to talk, the door only wide enough to see him,

"My apologies, your Highness. I didn't mean to take you from your duties."

I hear the slight fear in the woman's voice and I know it is one of the debutantes or ladies in waiting.
"What is your name?"

Bash's voice is cold, not like the one that he just used as he wrapped his gentle arms around me and was telling me that he wants to make me feel better.

"Nancy, I am one of Ashley Spencer's ladies in waiting."

"And what are you doing here?"

"I was told to help search for Willow Sommers, sister and lady in waiting of Harper Sommers. She hasn't been seen since we broke our fast and is needed to help Miss Harper prepare for the Yuletide Ball."

"Well, she isn't here, Miss Nancy, maybe ask one of the servants if they saw her."

He closes the door and walks over to me, his hard eyes softening instantly when they rest on me. I give him a sad smile,
"I need to go to my sister,"

"I know. See you here after the first dance? I guess my plans will be carried out later."

I nod, wrapping my arms around Bash's body, his lips kissing the crown of my head.

I rush to the servants passages and run to a door that is by the west wings staircase. Since the summer months I have also learnt more about where every passage door is from the outer walls. I walk up the staircase and find Nancy and Ashley talking,

"I swear it to you Ashley, I heard a woman's voice in the library with Prince Sebastian."

Ashley laughs,
"Please, to make such an assumption and then to say it was Willow. That shy girl wouldn't even be with a Prince if he begged her to."

I shake my head and walk from my hiding space, walking passed Nancy and Ashley and towards my sister's room. I walk in and Harper attacks me into an embrace and when she pulls away she starts to question me along with Freya and Maya,

"Where were you?"
"How did you disappear from view?"
"You weren't with Vesper or in any of the libraries on our floor and you know you can't leave this floor unless to go outside or because you were asked."

I take a step back from the three women, leaning against the door as I reply,
"I was with the seamstress, after the summer she asked if I wanted to return and agreed, wanting to learn more."

Harper's eyes narrow,
"Really..."

"Yes."

"Then why did she come searching for you when you were already gone. Enough lies, Willow, tell me the truth."

I close my eyes to think of an answer and when I open mine, the other pairs stare at me disbelievingly, I didn't even say anything,

"You met a man, didn't you?"

My eyes widen and I attempt, but fail, to not let my cheeks heat up. My three friends shriek and pull me to the couch in our sitting room. I look out of the window and see if it is still before noon, letters are going to be delivered soon and I pray Bash won't write anything with the seal or his name on it.

I look at my sister, who looks like she is about to burst from too many questions popping into her head,
"Who is it? How long have you been seeing him? Is he nice? Is he part of the court? Is he rich?"

Freya and Maya giggle in the background and I frown, do they know something? Or are they enjoying the attention that is being forced on me?

"I-I-uh, well,"
I don't manage to get any words out and sigh in relief when Elizabeth walks in with letters in her hand. She looks at the scene before her and gives me a look. She knows about Bash, he only gives her the letters so that no one else notices.

"A letter to Miss Harper from your father, a letter to Miss Freya and Miss Maya from your brother, a letter to Miss Willow from your father as well."

She gives me a small smile as she hands the letter and I notice the letter actually has the Royal crest, it is from Bash. As she leaves, I call out a thank you like I always do, only much more gratefully this time.

<<>>

After the letters are read, in which Papa didn't mention Mama to Harper and I smile happily at Bash's message, the conversation from before is forgotten by the realisation that the ball starts in three hours.

Freya and Maya get dressed as I assist Harper to put on her newly sewn dress, a gift from the Queen, she says. It is a beautiful dress, made for her in every way. It is a warm pink dress with a large skirt and a bodice with tulle wrapped around it as sleeves that hang off the shoulders. She wears shining golden jewellery and gold shoes and leaves her hair open except for some strands that she pulls into a small braid.

I then rush off to dress myself, ignoring the torturous corset and using one of stays the Queen had recommended. I then take a dress that the Queen also gave me and smile at how perfectly it fits.

It has a plain ivory bodice made of silk and has soft lace around the flirtatious neckline. The skirt is a beautiful pattern of cream, gold and silver flowers on a white silk. The dress is like the first one the Queen gave me because of the circular skirt which flares out when I spin around. I leave my hair open, not a strand tied together and smile when I notice how they spin in wild curls as they run down my back.

When all four of us have our hair done, our dresses perfected and our jewellery shining we make our way to the grand ballroom where the Yuletide Celebration is waiting.