Chapter Nineteen

As we make our way down the staircase, I look around the room at all the colourfully dressed people. Then, we all make our way to the crowd as the next debutante descends the stairs.

When everyone has arrived, the trumpets sound and the doors open, revealing the King and Queen, smiling at each other before walking down the staircase, followed by their children. Everyone bows and curtsies as Marlon and Paula stand in front of their thrones and rises when they sit. The circle is formed, the debutantes walk into it and the ball begins.

After the first dance the King rises with an announcement, confounded I look at him and his eyes meet mine before drifting away and falling on Bash. Oh no.

I close my eyes and feel a familiar tingling across my skin as Bash's eyes finding me. I open my eyes and look at him, his eyes holding the same shock as mine,

"Lords, Ladies, Gentlemen and Gentlewomen, my son has made a decision and will search for his lady in a moment but first I want to make an announcement. Even though this Season had the Crown Prince advertised as the one of the ladies in court to marry, my other son has also found himself a lady which he has been courting since the beginning of the season. I am telling you this before rumours spread and accusations are made. So would you all please make space for both my sons to find the woman that they are choosing to court and have a dance."

Daniel makes his way confidently to his lady, having been sure that it was her since autumn when he asked me for advice on how to tell her. Bash however stands frozen for a few moments before starting to walk to me, shocking everyone he passes. His face brightens in colour and as does mine as he stands in front of me, attempting to smile.

He offers me his hand and I take it, closing my eyes for a few moments. His grip on my hand tightens as we walk to the centre of the ballroom. I look up at him and I see his walls trying to build up. When we stop I stand in front of him and pull him closer and standing on my toes to reach his ear,
"'But for lovers'..."

He smiles at me as I stand in front of him, placing his hand on my waist as I place mine on his shoulder,
"'Time is eternal'."

I smile in return and we start to dance to the music, the people around us disappearing and being replaced with the library where it is only me, Bash and the music we only ever heard in our minds.

I look around when the ballroom is back in my eyes and I see Daniel dancing happily with Gwyneth Concord. They dance together like one person and I can see how happy they are as they look at each other. I remember when Daniel told me, and it relieved me because she was the only one who acted her true self in front of him, unlike Ashley Spencer and the others, even my sister acted as if she were perfect even though she was far from it. I focus back on Bash, whose eyes meet mine straight away, I smile and he spins me, causing me to laugh quietly.

When the music ends, people seem to wake up and ask around to dance with someone. I look around and then look at Bash,
"First dance is over, does that mean we can leave to the library now?"

He smiles and pulls me closer, his arms wrapping around my waist and his head resting on mine,
"I don't know, I think I am starting to enjoy dancing."

I laugh and wrap my arms around him, my lips close to his ear as he moves to look at me,
"Please."

He laughs and nods, nothing but running to the library.

"I know I said I would make you feel better because of your mother and all, but all you need is a book and a Bash, so here we are,"

He hands grabs a book and smiles at me, causing me to laugh, we then sit on the couch and I take Bash's book. My head rests on his chest and I tuck my legs under myself. His arm wraps around my shoulders and we start to read, falling into another world.

<<>>

After the ball ends, Bash and I end up reading until the early morning, our eyes never tiring. When our books finish, however, our eyes surrender to sleep straight away and we lay down on the couch, too fatigued to walk to our rooms.

When I wake up in the morning, sunlight is streaming through the windows and an arm has a strong grip around my waist. I turn around and face Bash's sleeping face and smile. When his eyes open he looks into mine and my smile brightens. 

I kiss his forehead and he kisses mine before wrapping his other arm around me and tightening his grip,
"Bash! Let go, I can't breathe."

He chuckles and loosens his grip, smiling at me innocently. I stand up and walk to the secret passage before stopping myself and walking to the door.

"I see you are using the proper door."

"Well, everyone knows now, no point in hiding it."
He chuckles and gives me a small wave as I walk away, closing the door behind me. Now I need to face Harper and my friends. I hope they aren't angry.