Chapter Twenty-One

After we break our fast, I am excused with the Royals, leaving at Bash's side. When the doors close behind us I see the family rest their stiffened muscles and smile and talk. I lean closer to Bash, our hands interlaced,

"I don't think I will ever become accustomed to the feeling of hundreds of eyes on me."

He chuckles,
"You never do, even after being born into it."

As the family leaves to do their royal duties me and Bash go to his chambers. The snow beyond the windows in too strong for us to ride but it is amazing to watch. I sit on the bench in front of Bash's large window, watching the snow twirl to the ground. I watch it for a while, the time not apparent when the sky is clouded.

When I start to wonder what Bash is doing I look around and see him sitting at the other end of the bench, a book leaning on his knees and a graphite lead in his hand.

"What are you drawing?"

"Not what, rather who."
He smiles at me before drawing something on the paper, I remember the drawing from the flower field and a smile blossoms on my face. I watch as he draws, a passion glowing from his eyes.

"And... done."

He stands up and with long strides walks over to me, handing me the paper.

It is a detailed drawing of me, looking out of the window as I sit on the bench with my legs pulled up to my chest. My dress falls around me in waves, drifting down the bench to the floor. My eyes hold a depth in them and reflect the falling snow beyond the window.

"Bash! I swear if you weren't a Prince you would probably be a world-renowned painter."

He smiles sheepishly and a red blush creeps over his cheeks. I stand up on the bench, reaching his height and wrapping my arms around him, my head resting on his shoulder,
"Thank you."

He shivers as my breath touches his neck and ear. His arms wrap around me,
"You're welcome. You are very welcome."

When we pull apart Bash's hand rests on my cheek and I think back to when he asked to court me, the tears running down my eyes and his comforting smile.

"What are you planning to do after your brother marries and becomes king?"

Bash smiles, sitting on the bench and pulling me onto his lap,

"Well, I was thinking we would travel the world, go to France, the New World, the Netherlands, Germany, Greece."

I smile,
"And how would we get there?"

"Whichever way you want to take. You want to fly, we invent a flying machine, you want to go by boat, we prepare a fleet."

I laugh this time and grab Bash's face, my hands resting on his warm cheeks,
"That sounds amazing. But what about us? What are we in your future?"

He smiles, wrapping his arms around me and pulling me closer,

"We would be married and travel until you surprise me by saying you are with child, which is when we would return to this palace with children but we would be like friends, close and understanding of each other. And we would annoy Daniel to no end."

I laugh and shake my head,
"You paint a perfect picture, Bash. I hope I am there to see it."

He smiles,
"I will make sure of it."

His hand touches my cheek, slowly pulling us closer together until our breaths mingle and our noses meet. I close my eyes and lean forward, meeting his lips with mine. His hand travels down my cheek and wraps around my back, pulling me closer as my arms wrap around his neck.

We haven't kissed before and this embrace seemed so personal that it feels like we are the only people in the world, as if everything around us melted away and now all that remains is us.

<<>>

After our kiss, we wait before leaving Bash's room to meet his family in the conservatory, waiting for our lips to be less swollen and our faces from being blushed. Bash brushes through his hair and I pull some of my strands into a small chignon that rests on top of my open hair.

When we are ready we walk down the halls, hand in hand, conversing quietly about the paintings and sculptures we pass.

In the conservatory, everyone is seated and looking at the snow beyond the glass room. Paula notices us first,
"Nice of you to join us."

I smile and walk to her, greeting her with a kiss on both cheeks.

"Hello, Paula, sorry we are late."

She chuckles,
"It is no problem, it is expected for people who are young and in love to be late."

She says this quietly, only for me to hear and gives me a wink. I smile, a blush creeping onto my cheeks again and I take a seat next to her.

We converse about all sorts of topics and I smile every time Bash and I look at each other. Paula was possibly right, I am in love.

And the King was right as well, all those months ago when he and Bash fought in the library, Bash did get to court a lady and I was the lucky one that got to be that lady.