Chapter Twelve

After a long night's rest, I begin the day by dressing myself before having to wake my friends. I look through my tunics and separate skirts until I find the best attire for the hunt. I put on a tightened tunic that looks like a plain blue bodice with a pair of mahogany riding breeches. The skirt is a watery blue silk that drops to the ground without any volume and is easy to pull off when it is time to ride in my breeches. My hair is tied into a loose braid with silver ribbon and I put on my cleaned riding boots before heading into the sitting room to wait for the rest of our group.

Harper wears her usual attire of warm toned colours and waits with me as Freya and Maya get ready.

When everyone is dressed, we break our fast and head outside to the stables. I walk into the stables to see Vesper start rearing as a stable hand attempts to strap a halter on him. 

I rush over and put my hands on Vesper's long face to hold it in place so that he calms down,
"Sir, don't attempt the halter, he'll injure you."

The stable hand does as told and Vesper settles down straight away.

"My apologies, Miss. I was told to halter and saddle every horse."

"It is no problem, you didn't know."

He nods and walks away, going to a different horse, slightly shaken by Vesper's rearing. I step into Vesper's stable, leaving the stable door ajar and pull off my skirt, I then untie my hair and put both on the fresh hay. Vesper's hoof is lifted and I mount him, gripping his mane and walking out.

When I step out I can feel Vesper's nerves, there are people everywhere, richly dressed and talkative, like at the auction house, I lean to his ear and place my hands over his eyes,

"Concentre-toi seulement sur moi. Je suis ici, ils ne comptent pas."
(Only focus on me. I am here, they don't matter.)

He nickers and I lean back, letting him walk on. People stare and whisper as we pass them and I can only imagine what is going through their minds.

The hunting dogs are leashed and sitting patiently next to the King and his horse. I bow my head in the direction of his widened eyes and walk on to where Harper and the others are stepping into a carriage. A horse walks and halts next to Vesper and I look over to see it is the Queen, also riding astride,

"Good morning, Willow."

"Good morning, Paula, you also ride astride?"

"Of course. It's much more practical."

I smile and nod in agreement and she returns my smile before walking to the King who kisses her before both turning to the crowd.

"Willow, you feeling good up there?"

I turn and look down to my sister and smile, nodding as I pat Vesper's neck.

"Everyone listen! The hunting will start in the forest at the big paths and the women will follow behind at a walk or trot."

I quietly snort, no one hearing me except for Vesper who whinnies quietly in agreement.

The King then rides off with Prince Daniel and Paula, no sign of Bash. Just as the thought crosses my mind, I see Pegasus trot through the crowd. I smile as Bash purposely rides passed me and gives me a wink and a small smile.

When the horn sounds and the dogs start to bark, the men gallop on, following their king. I smile and nudge Vesper, turning to the smaller path that I have discovered runs alongside the main one. We canter on, my hair whipping behind me as both me and Vesper laughing, or in his case whinnying, with adrenaline.

We leave the forest behind us soon and start to leap over some fences, keeping an eye on the hunting horses in the forest. I laugh as Vesper leaps over a stream to cut to another field. We canter over it and I steer Vesper closer to the hunting horses, just so I have them in my eyesight.

As they gallop on, a horse and rider remove themselves from the group and come over to Vesper and I. The white horse I recognize easily and start to spur on Vesper, racing Pegasus and Bash ever so slightly.

When they catch up we both slow to a halt and I laugh,

"Well hello there, I didn't see you because of all the dust we were kicking up."

He laughs and pats Pegasus,
"Sure you didn't. But either way, do you wish to join us for a small walk to the picnic field?"

"We would be delighted, your Majesty."

As I say this, Vesper bows and I silently laugh.
When Vesper rises again, Bash smiles,
"Impressive."

"I know,"

Though I speak with confidence, the praise from Bash causes my stomach to tie itself into knots and my already wide smile, widens slightly.

We start to walk, conversing about anything and everything, crossing over fields, bridges and trails until we halt in the shade of some trees just next to the picnic field. The Queen and debutantes are already seated and riders from the hunt are slowly returning. I turn to Bash,

"Thank you for the ride, and the conversation."

"No problem, Willow. I'll ride back and search for the hunting group, go enjoy the picnic."

He rides off and I start cantering to where I see my sister sitting on a carpet or blanket with Freya and Maya. As I make my way over, in a walk now that there are people everywhere, I get stopped by the King and Crown Prince, who suddenly emerged from the forest. I bow my head to them both and Prince Daniel speaks up,

"Miss, what is your name?"

I stop myself from frowning, since we were introduced yesterday, but then notice the King who has never met me,

"I'm Willow Sommers, sister and lady in waiting for"-

-"Miss Harper Sommers."

I nod, smiling,
"May I ask what you wanted to know my name for?"

The King smiles and looks at me and Vesper,
"You and your horse. You have a skill, riding astride and bare-backed. We were impressed and just wanted to become acquainted with you."

I smile at them,
"Well, it was nice to meet you personally, but I have to return to my sister,"

They nod and excuse themselves as well, Daniel giving me a small look over his shoulder with almost relief in his eyes. I then turn Vesper, walking to my staring friends. They attack with questions and I answer them until I give up and just let them talk, leaning on my hands as Vesper grazes beside me, occasionally nudging my hand to remind me he was still there. I smile when Vesper whinnies after he spots Pegasus and Bash cantering to the King and Prince. Bash smiles as he spots us and my smile widens before focusing on my talkative friends again.