Chapter 4

Oogi charged through the evening sky. The sun had almost finished its retreat behind the hills leaving it's illumination in the streetlights and sky scrapers. Warehouses, businesses and homes. Like an expansive forest pointing to the stars. Tenzin held the reigns and guided the sky bison to the shop Ikki had visited. Jinora stared forward, transfixed on their destination. Within moments of flight they could easily pick out the store.

A riotous crowd of citizens had assembled before it and was battering the store. They were congregating in an open plaza where normally people would sit and relax. The table and chairs had been toppled by the sea of wrath. The street lights bathed the undulating throng in a sharp sulphur yellow. With a whoosh of air, Oogi landed beside the crowd garnering their attention.

Trying to comfort a pair of distraught kids at the back of the crowd, Jinora bent over and asked "Are you ok? What's the matter?" The bravest of the two sobbed.

"The guy was giving out free sodas and now we can't earth-bend. The shyer boy held out a crushed can.

'Spazz- The Drink for Everyone', a can adorned in a garish mixture of yellow and turquoise. Being perfectly cautious, Jinora sniffed the can. Another fruity drink. One of many that had been popping up recently. A strong sickly smell of sugar didn't seem put of place.

Tenzin addressed the sea of people. "Please go home. The Air Nation will handle the situation. Avatar Korra is already working on it." His commanding voice nullified the crowd as they left muttering. Various individuals approached Tenzin demanding that he imprison the frightened store clerk who was peering through his shop window. With assurances in hand the protesters slunk away.

The air- benders approached the door where they met with the cowardly appearance of the clerk. He was round and short, one could compare him to a beachball even. He trembled, wiping sweat of his brow with a polka dot handkerchief. "Heavens, thank you good sir. I don't what would have happened to me if you hadn't arrived."

Tenzin with a fierce look in his eyes insisted "Tell me what these are and why people are losing their bending?" Jinora offered the can she had been given to which Tenzin put forward. The bumbling gentlemen examined the can and pleaded.

"We got these drinks as part of promotional deal some company is doing. They wanted to get people interested in their product so they gave me a whole truckload of 'Spazz' free. But I don't why people can't bend anymore. Please you have to believe me!" The man clung to Tenzin's robes, instantly removing all doubt that he was some kind of evil genius.

Tenzin released the man's grip and reassured him. "Do not worry. Which just need to know which company distributed this... beverage."

The man reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out a letter. "Shoto Incorporated. They are based in Omashu."

Without delay the air-benders returned home, to prepare for the journey ahead.

They returned to the dining room where Korra was cheering up the bereft Ikki. Everyone turned to Tenzin, Opal and Jinora. Tenzin rushed over to his daughter and urged Korra. "Has her air-bending returned? Have you been able to restore it?"

Korra stood to Tenzin explaining. "Bad news is that this isn't like it was with Amon or Aang. I can't switch it back on. The good news is that is returning, slowly. Ikki punched the air in front of her, squeezing out a light draft. Tenzin breathed a sigh of relief hugging his daughter.

"Well that is good news." Tenzin furrowed his forehead announcing. "Korra you need to head to Omashu as soon as possible." The conversation continued but Kai wasn't interested. He hobbled over to Jinora and steadied himself, by resting on her shoulder.

"So, what happened?" He whispered. As if her eyes were shimmering pools, he plunged into their depths intent on finding something. Sitting on the sidelines as everyone rushed around was unbearable. Kai knew his place as an air-bender and his duty to the world.

"Korra is going to Omashu to find the people we believe to be responsible." She explained, "I think it's something to do with the that the new fizzy drink they are giving out." Kai was nodding his head trying to get down all the facts.

Korra saddled over to Jinora placing her hand on her other free shoulder. "So, we will probably leave first thing tomorrow morning when Asami brings over her airship." Jinora was immediately shaken by this news.

She shakily asks 'I'm going?"

Korra smiles back "Of course you are. For all we know this could be Equalist related and I know how you wanted to catch those guys."

Jinora feels butterflies in her stomach, trying to recall something she would want to do less. The haunting face of the Commandant came to mind. Jinora looked around the room; to her friends, to her parents, her sister and finally to Kai. She would have wanted to confess the anxiety she had been feeling, but she couldn't bring herself to disappoint everyone here. If it was Equalist related, then it was her duty to protect the innocent benders from them. That is what a master air- bender would do. She gulped. "I'll start packing then."

Korra solemnly looked at Kai admitting. "It's a shame you can't come Kai. Believe me, I know what it's like to sit by the sidelines. Try and hang in there bud." She gave Kai a reassuring slap on the back to which he jokingly replied "This is no fair. Can't you tell the Equalists to hold off on their world conquering plan for another week or two." Kai shrugged in an exaggerated fashion, spurring a little smile from Korra as she walks off to talk to Opal.

Jinora drops her faux smile. Kai noticed.

He looked concerned, as she looked away. She stared into his shinning emeralds, unable to hold back. "I need to tell you something." 

Authors note

Sorry if I haven't posting frequently, I wont waste your time with excuses. Regardless, I am still determined to finish all my ongoing projects. Thanks for reading.