Chapter 10

Jinora's spirit watched them pounce from tree to tree. Long snapping jaws, terrible sets of jagged teeth and huge clawed hands. The species was unmistakable. "It's troupe of gorillagators. Half a dozen males at least." Jinora said, her spirit fluttering into her body.

Kai helped her to her feet and nervously asked, "They don't eat meat, do they?" Jinora paused trying to find the least intimidating phrasing. Her lengthy pause gave the opposite effect. "So, they do eat meat..."

"We have to protect Asami and Taffy. If they can't get into the airship, they will probably just leave."

They heard the primates land on the hollow metal skin of the airship. Dozens of loud footfalls, along the ship. Jinora and Kai stood back to back, waiting for the gorillagators who grew louder and louder. A huge scaly fist smashed through the porthole, reaching into the room. Kai fired a blast of air, defenestrating the arm. The crocodilian ape screamed with anger. Another smashed its head through the window in the hall only for Jinora to push it out with a gust of wind. "They can't get through these little windows. We should be able to hold out." Kai shouted over the desperate wails.

Jinora smiled momentarily before running out of the room in panic. Her suspicions were realised when she saw a gigantic, scarred gorillagator knuckle walking towards them. "They got in through the bridge!"

Jinora used both hands to air-bend a storm at the ape. It shrugged off the attack, using it's huge arms to claw it's way closer and closer. Kai ran out into the hallway and synchronised his movements with Jinora's. The beast struggled against the hurricane but didn't stop. Out of the corner of his eye, Kai could see other gorillagators watching from the windows. The air-benders were about to be swatted but their started taking effect. The ape was using all his strength to keep his ground. Focusing hard Kai and Jinora tried one more push. The gorillagators claw's screeched along the walls as it was forced backwards. It screams were muffled by the roar of their air current. The glass portholes shattered.

Jinora smiled. It seemed like they were going to hold out.

She couldn't react faster enough to the hand reaching in from one of the windows. The leathery fingers wrapped around torso, trapping one of her arms to her side. "Jinora!" Kai looked in distress dropping his attack.

Lifted off the ground Jinora called back "Keep going! You have to stop that alpha!" Kai looked back down the hallway to see the gorillagator bounding down the hall. Kai knew he had to devote himself completely to controlling the flow of air. Drawing every fibre of his being, he fired back at the behemoth.

Jinora tightened her core to stop the hand squeezing her insides. She caught a glimpse of the gorillagators face. Its expression was frantic and its eyes were too human. She could feel her heartbeat slowing as she watched it writhe in what seemed like slow motion. With both legs she kicked a current of air, launching the gorillagator arm backwards, releasing her from its clutches.

Despite the huge wind force that Kai was generating, the enraged and battle-scarred alpha, clawed its way forward. It raised it's paws in the air, preparing to crush the air-benders.

Blood splattered everywhere.

Taffy had run out into the hallway and jumped on the massive gorillagator. Using a jagged piece of glass, he slashed and stabbed. The other gorillagators could only watch as their leader had his ears ripped from their sockets. Taffy stood triumphant over the corpse, beating his chest and announcing his dominance to the whole swamp. Kai and Jinora stood back relieved but a little terrified of their friendly little panda-chimp.