Chapter 12

The assault-craft arrived at the downed remains of the airship. The squad of Equalists readied their weapons. The lead officer reiterated their orders. "Extract the passengers. Be careful there could be more beasts as well as another air-bender. Lethal force is permitted." The squad entered through the huge broken windows at the bridge. They crept through the hallways, kicking down doors. 

Asami could hear them getting closer and closer. She readied her electric glove, holding her arm steady. The officer kicked the door of its hinges. She prepared to zap him but before she could grab him, he flicked out a pair of sai and smashed her glove. She cried out in pain, holding her hand. "Miss Sato. It is an honour seeing you again." He removed his mask with a small bow.
"Zakoo." She spat through gritted teeth.

He grabbed her by the collar, pulling her off the ground. "Squad pull-out, we are making our retreat." The squad relaxed a little, holstering their weapons. "Honestly, I expected a little more resistance from the daughter of Hitoshi Sato." He said dragging her into the hallway.

Nauseated by her head wound, "It is a little desperate but we had to be sure that you would all be in one place."

Zakoo realised too late when he saw Kai appear at the end of the hall. He outstretched a fistful of pebbles in one hand and fired them with the other. Asami dove behind the squad. The Equalists scrambled to dodge or bring out their weapons but had no room in the cramp hallway. The next moment, dozens of little projectiles ricocheted off the walls, floors and enemy combatants.

"Asami are you good back there?"

Asami felt like the world was spinning but she was un-hit. "I'm fine."

Kai stepped over the unconscious bodies, to give Asami a hand. He didn't notice when one grabbed a sai from the floor. Kai could feel the air move before he looked down to see Zakoo thrusting at him. He jumped back. Zakoo rolled his human shield into a corner and lunged at Kai. "Damn brat. How dare you subvert the Equalist cause." Kai watched, almost in slow motion, as Zakoo stabbed erratically. It only needed minute currents of air to misdirect the strikes. Zakoo charged forward uncontrollably as Kai stepped to the side. With a swift strike to the temple, Zakoo was out cold.

Kai swivelled to the sound of an airship approaching. Stuck his head out one of the portholes and sure enough it wore the crest of Zaofu. With a smile he said "I know your airship is really nice but a much nicer has arrived." Asami put an arm around Kai as he helped her to the bow of the ship. Under the spotlights, Su, Taffy and a stretcher cabled down.

"Jinora!" The moment she landed, Kai picked her up and squeezed her. "Your plan worked great! The trick with the stones especially rocked!" She brushed away the compliment but couldn't stop grinning.

"Oh, it was nothing. Just promise me you won't teach that trick to the other Meelo." Revelling in the moment, Taffy picked up and squeezed both of them. After hearing some worrisome cracking sounds, he relented. "I am starved. Do you think Su has any food on her airship?" Kai asked.

Jinora turned to look up at the airship. "It is not as luxurious as Asami's was but it should have something."

While Asami was being carefully hoisted up and the air-benders were chatting, Taffy walked around the bridge sniffing out some familiar scent. It was unclear whatever it was. It was coming from the water. Taffy approached the dark swamp water's edge only to be stabbed in the torso by the Commandant. Jinora and Kai staggered back as he sprinted into the airship corridor with Taffy impaled on his machete. They immediately gave chase, sprinting through the metallic maze chasing Taffy's wails.