Chapter 2: Mining

Zak watched how lots of people approached him. His best friend, Vincent, was fighting them off, trying his best to keep them all away from Zak.

"Run," Vincent hissed, tightening his grip on the sword he was holding. Zak's hands started trembling, he didn't want to leave! This was his home! He didn't want to leave!

"Come here, diamond boy~" Zak heard a woman, she was running at him, hands stretched out, an insane look in her eyes. It was as if she was ready to grab him at any moment.

Just when the woman was about to pounce onto Zak, Zak was pushed out of the way by his best friend Vincent.

"A6d!" Zak screached, watching in horror as the woman pinned Vincent down and pushed Vincent's head against the ground.

"Skeppy, run! Go!" Vincent yelled, being held down by the woman. Zak's legs trembled in fear, but when he saw Vincent's eyes, begging for him to leave, Zak nodded. Shaking in fear and tears running down his face, Zak spun around. He dashed into the direction of the forest, away from redstone city, into the night.

Zak knew no one would dare to follow him there, no one goes outside at night... Not if they wanted to keep their lives, at least.

Zak woke up with a gasp, he looked around, where was he?! After a moment of thinking, he remembered, he was in Badboyhalo's basement... That sounded so weird now that he thought about it. 

He ran his hand across his cheek, running one of his fingers across the edges of the diamond, where the diamond met his skin. The diamond was warm, making Zak smile. He was alive, not some sort of cold rock. 

He rubbed his eyes, and tried to go back to sleep, when...

"Zak! Get up you muffin! We have stuff to do today!" Zak heard Bad's voice shouting at him from upstairs. Zak groaned, as much as he wanted to yell 'five more minutes,' he couldn't exactly refuse. He was staying in Bad's house for free after all, the least he could do is help out.

Zak groaned, and got out of bed. He brushed the dust off his clothes, as the bed he had been sleeping in was pretty dirty. Zak didn't complain though, Bad was way too nice, and that he let Zak stay, even if it was in his basement, was unbelievably kind. Zak knew for a fact that if Bad showed up at his door, he wouldn't have let Bad in for nothing. He stretched, and climbed up the stairs, back into the living room. The smell of cooked porkchop filled his nose the moment he entered the room. Did Bad make breakfast?

"There you are!" Bad said with a wide smile. He was holding a two plates, each with one porkchop on it. Cute! "I made breakfast, I hope you like porkchops," Bad said, and placed both the plates on the table.

Zak nodded, and took a seat at the table. "Thank you, you really didn't have to you know?" he said, feeling a bit guilty. Bad had done so much for him already... 

"Nonsense, now eat up," Bad said, giving Zak a smile that made his heart melt. This guy was way too nice. It wouldn't surprise Zak if one day Bad would give a zombie something to eat.

While the two were eating, Zak noticed Bad kept glancing at the diamond on Zak's cheek for a split second, before looking away again. It made Zak feel a bit unconfortable, very unconfortable. Was Bad going to try and cut the diamond off his skin too? The thought made Zak cringe. 

After the two finished their breakfast, Bad walked over to a chest, and pulled out two pickaxes and two iron helmets. "Put this on, we're going mining," Bad said, and handed Zak an iron helmet, and a pickaxe.

Zak tilted his head, they were going mining? "You're not saying we're acctually gonna mine with these," Zak pointed at the pickaxe he was holding, "right?" surely Bad had some sort of machine that did the mining for him, right?

Bad looked at him with a confused look on his face, "ofcourse we're mining with these, do you want to mine with a shovel or something?" Bad said as if it was the most obvious thing ever. "Come, I'll show you the mine!" Bad said, his face emediatly lighting up at the mention of the mine. Zak didn't quite understand why Bad would enjoy mining so much, but who was he to judge? He had never touched a pickaxe in his life, so how would he know if mining was fun or not?

Bad smiled brightly, grabbed the hand in which Zak wasn't holding the pickaxe, and pulled him outside, to a huge hole in the wall. It didn't look dark inside, it seemed to be lit up by torches. If Zak has to guess, this was the mine.

Bad happily skipped down the stairs of the mine, (in reality the stairs were just piles of cobblestone) Zak following right behind. Zak watched as they walked past millions of strip mines, Bad must have been mining here for a very long time if he had so many strip mines...

"Okay, so if you see something, just call okay?" Bad said in a cheerfull tone, and happily skipped into one of the strip mines, leaving Zak alone. Zak sighed, held tight onto the pickaxe, and started chipping away at the stone wall in front of him, time to find diamonds baby!

--

Zak ran his hand over his forehead, wiping the sweat off his forehead. Mining was a lot more difficult and tiring than Bad had made it seem... He pushed his helmet back, and ran a hand through his sweaty hair. He did not understand how Bad was holding out this long, let stand do this every single day! There was no way, absolutely no way! Zak's arms were aching already!

He slammed the pickaxe against the wall, and to his surprise, the wall fell down, exposing a huge cave! Zak's eyes lit up, Bad would be so happy once he saw this! But Zak was way too tired to keep exploring the cave right now, so instead, he leaned against one of the stone walls of the strip mine, made himself slide down the wall, and sat down on the floor. A little break wouldn't hurt right? He placed the helmet down next to him, and started toying with the pickaxe.

His break was suddenly interrupted by a hissing noise. Zak's head snapped into the direction of his hissing noise, only to be greeted by a creeper making its way over to him! Zak gasped, opening this cave had been a terrible idea! He stumbled to his feet, dashed back into the strip mine, and started looking for Bad. As he scanned all the branches of the mine, he finally noticed Bad. It was a bit hard to see, but the torch being placed made it unmistakable.

"Bad!" yelled Zak, running towards the other, followed by the creeper.

"Zak, what is it-" Bad's face dropped at the sight of the creeper, "oh no..." That was when Zak tripped, and he fell flat on his face. Memories of last night in the forest flashed through his mind, not again! The creeper started to hiss again, and it was clear it was about to explode!

Just before it did, Zak felt Bad wrap his arms around Zak, shielding Zak from the explosion.

When the creeper exploded, the two were sent flying backwards by the huge shockwave. Bad's hood was also blown back, exposing his face...

Oooo see what I did there? A cliffhanger!