Chapter 7: Stuck

What's that I hear? Is it the sound of me actually updating at a regular pace?

"Bad, really?" Zak whined, pulling at Darryl's arm. "Again?"

"Yes Skeppy, again. We need the ores, stop being such a baby..."

"But I'm tired, and mining is so much work!" Zak whined, making Darryl groan.

"You're staying in my house for free! I'm not asking for much..." Darryl sighed, and flipped his hood up, which make Zak roll his eyes. "Now, come, we're going!"

Zak groaned, but followed behind Darryl non the less.

Darryl lead Zak into the mines again, this time being a lot more careful. Zak couldn't say he blamed him, the last time didn't go too well after all...

"Alright, this is the mine you're going to go into, and if even anything happens you call me, alright?" Darryl said, a serious look on his face.

Zak nodded, he wasn't a child, he could look after himself! "Psh, as if I will disobey the great badboyhalo!" He snickered, and ran off into the strip mine.

Darryl smiled, and waved Zak goodbye. He trusted Zak to take care of himself, the last time they were down here he almost died after all... Darryl almost wanted to keep Zak close, to make sure nothing happened to him. But Zak wasn't a little kid, he was fine on his own, right?

No matter how much Zak mined, he kept thinking about this cave he opened up a few days ago. He knew what happened ofcourse, he was almost blown up by a creeper, but he couldn't stop wondering what was down there.

His curiosity about the mysterious cave he had opened up the last time he and Bad were down here got the better of him, he simply had to know what was down there. Nothing could really go wrong right?

He quietly slipped out of the strip mine Darryl had told him to mine in, and walked back to the strip mine with the opened up cave. He couldn't exactly tell what strip mine was the correct one, but the one with the huge crater was probably the one. He still felt a bit guilty about ruining Darryl's neat strip mine, but what can you do.

He ended up being right, when he was confronted with a huge hole in the wall, this had to be it. And even if it wasn't there still was something to explore down there, right?

Zak slid down the rocky entrance of the cave, small pebbles rolling down the entrance as he did. He tightly held onto his torch, trying to slightly light up the dark cave he was now standing in. The cold temperature of the cave sent a chill up Zak's spine, it wasn't as easy as Zak had expected it to be.

There had to be something down here, or maybe it was just his curiosity getting the better of him. Either way, he was not going to chicken out now. He held the torch in front of him, and walked further down into the cave. The light of the torch lit up most of the cave around him, letting him see the ores stuck in the rock walls, easy to chip out with a pickaxe. He didn't recognize most of them, but there were some he did. The list of things he was able recognize wasn't very long though, consisting only of cole and diamonds, it was a bit embarrassing if he thought about it for too long... Oh whatever, it didn't matter right now, he wasn't down here for mining anyway.

The deeper into the cave he went, the darker it got, until at some point the flame of his torch was the only source of light left. Until, that changed. He saw a red glow coming from around the corner of the cave, and was that the sound of water streaming? Strange... Zak started speed-walking into the direction of the glow, maybe he could relight his torch there too?

When Zak turned around the corner, his jaw dropped. That was a lava pool! Stranger still, streaming onto the lava, was water. Two complete opposites meeting right in the middle. When Zak looked closer, there was a strange black rock covering one side of the lava pool, the side the water was streaming onto.

Zak took a deep breath, and stepped onto the black rocks. The water soaked his shoes and the bottom of his jeans, but Zak didn't care, he was just glad the rocks hadn't collapsed directly under him. He sunk to his knees to touch the strange black rock. It had an interesting texture, smooth yet not, something you don't see every day... He wondered if Bad had heard of the strange rock... Maybe he could ask him about it? No, Bad would be mad that Zak had left the stripmines without his protection, and Zak wasn't in the mood for a scolding. Besides, he wasn't a child anymore.

Zak sighed, maybe he should go back up, the longer he was down here the more likely it was for him to notice Zak was gone. He pushed himself up, whiped his hands on his hoodie, and re-lit his torch with the small fire the lava had started. He realized Bad would probably be a bit suspicious if Zak returned without anything to show, so he slammed his pickaxe into the wall, trying to get an ore lose, but instead of that, he heard rumbling coming from the roof...

Before Zak knew it, the ceiling of the cave collapsed. Zak just managed to jump out of the way of the rocks, leaving his hands scratched up but not leaving any permanent damage... Zak went to walk back up, but realized... He had jumped into the wrong direction...

He was stuck in the cave with no escape. He scrambled around, trying to find the pickaxe he had dropped while trying his best to not get crushed to death, only to realize it was nowhere to be seen. It had to have been crushed underneath the pile of rocks now blocking his path.

Zak started shaking, hands trembling and legs threatening to give out underneath him. He was stuck.