Chapter 6: Crystals

It's been a while hasn't it? Well, here you go! Chapter 6! I have to thank @jeszkat
for commenting so I didn't have to rewrite everything, because I may or may not have accidentally deleted the previous version while I was whiping my authors notes— Anyhow, you're a god and I love you.

Zak sat up straight in his bed, he couldn't fall asleep, no matter how hard he tried... He ran his hand through his hair, and almost threw the blanket off of himself. Maybe a quick breather was what he needed?

He tried, as sneakily as he could, to walk up the stairs, paying as much attention as possible to not make the stairs creak under his weight.

He glanced around the living room until his eyes landed on a set of ladders. Darryl had told him there was a way up to the roof, the perfect place to go outside at night and... Well, not get eaten alive.

He climbed up the ladder, carefully pushed the trapdoor open as silently as he could, and climbed up to the roof.

The cold breeze blew through his hair, the blue tips of his hair shimmering in the moonlight. He closed his eyes, enjoying the breeze. He yawned, and sat down just on the edge of the roof, his feel dangling off the edge. It felt nice, he felt a peace, which was a very rare feeling ever since he fled out of redstone city. He liked it.

The light of the stars reflected on small crystal clumps growing on his arms. If he looked carefully enough he could see small bits of his face reflecting off the crystal. He trailed his fingers over the place where the crystal met his skin. It was almost as if it was taunting him, telling him he would never be able to live a normal life. He pulled his legs close to his chest and exhaled, causing a small cloud of fog to come out of his mouth.

He dug his nails into his arms, enough to draw blood. Why did it have to be like this? It hurt, knowing that no matter how he tried, no matter how poor or rich he was, no matter what he tried to work himself up to, he would never be normal. Just because of the thing some called a 'blessing.' He could reassure anyone that whatever had been happening to him since birth was anything but a blessing. It was a curse. It didn't even leave his face unscathed, when he was about twelve, the crystals had started to spread to his jaw, and slowly but surely spread out over his cheek. Clear for everyone to see. Even at that young age Zak had known this wasn't normal, no matter how much his mother had tried to convince him that the crystal growing on his skin perfectly normal, Zak could see in her eyes. She was lying through her teeth. He bit his lip, now here he was, all because of the crystal growing on his skin. All because people were greedy enough to want to cut the crystal off his skin. Without the help of Vincent, he wouldn't be alive right now. And if Darryl hadn't found him, he might have joined the undead, roaming the night.

Darryl...

Such a nice person, it was as if the other man had never even said a single bad word in his life. He chuckled, and breathed in the scent of the hoody he was still wearing. Imagines of those green eyes filled his mind, he was sure he could drown in them...

He shook his head, and looked back at the stars. He stretched one of his hands up into the air, as if trying to reach for the stars. The crystal on that arms glinstered in the light.

"Pretty." He heard a voice behind him. He gasped, and turned around, just to be greeted by a pair of green eyes. He could almost see his own reflection in them!

"Oh, hi Bad..." Zak said with a small smile, a blush rising to his face. "What are you doing up this late?" He asked.

"I could ask you the same thing!" Darryl laughed, taking a seat next to Zak. Slowly but surely placing his hand over Zak's. Zak could feel his heartbeat skyrocket.

"I-I just wanted to stargaze, is all." Zak wasn't completely lying, he did want to see the stars, it was partially why he had chosen this spot to think. Darryl looked skeptical, but shrugged. Probably deciding to ignore it, which made Zak relax a bit. He was glad this wasn't going to turn into an interrogation of some sort.

"S-So, what brings you up here?" Zak asked, trying not to stumble over his words when Darryl made eye contact.

"I was looking for you." Darryl breathed out, if Zak hadn't been listening closely he might have missed it. Zak could almost feel the blood rushing to his face.

"Well... Thank you... I guess." Zak said, unconsciously leaning a bit closer to Darryl, and unbeknownst to him, Darryl was doing the same thing. He wasn't aware of what he was doing until he could feel Darryl's breath on his lips.

When Zak realized how close the two were, his eyes widened in horror, and he leaned backwards, almost falling off the roof. "Sorry!" He squeaked, and covered his face in embarrassment.

"No no it's fine! We should... Go back down, it's late..." Bad said with a smile that made Zak's heart flip.

"Yeah."