Chapter 5

Twenty minutes later and Chevonne and Elliot were on opposite sides of the elevator. She could feel his eyes on her and she refused to look at him. Four floors didn't take that long, right? There was a ding and the doors opened. She stepped through and Elliot followed. The walk to her door flew by and before she knew it, her key was in the lock and it turned and they were in.

"Wasn't I supposed to invite you in?" she asked as he followed her into her dark apartment, lit only by the streetlights from below.

"It depends on which movie you watch." His voice was entirely to close and she hurried across the living room. The lamp pushed away the darkness and she turned to find him standing, hands in his pockets, staring at the roses. "They were supposed to be thornless."

"Well, as you can see, they missed one."

He shot her a quick look and she took a step back. His eyes... the light, silvery brown was gone. Instead, they were now the black from her memory. From her painting.

"I didn't need to see it," he said softly and she knew what he meant.

"That was two days ago. You can still smell it?"

His nod was abrupt. "Not much and I don't think he will be able to from outside."

"If he knows where I live." She took another step back as he turned all his attention to her.

"How much did you bleed?"

She didn't want to stay on the subject of blood. Not when she wasn't sure what his eye-color meant. Was it bad for her? That was how it felt. "Does it matter?"

He cocked his head and waited for her answer.

"If I tell you, will you take off your mask?" Eyes only spoke so much. Expressions were important as well.

"You've trusted me so I suppose I can return the favor." His thumb caught the bottom of the black mask and slowly, he pushed it up and over his head.

He had the be the single most beautiful monster in the world and Chevonne gave herself a metal shake. Yes, she had been attracted to him before she knew what he was. That information ended any desire after that. Just because he was stunning didn't mean it would return. She had no interest in him anymore.

"One drop."

"I don't believe you." What good did seeing him do when his face remained as expressionless as the mask?

"That isn't my problem. You asked. I answered. Why would I lie?" Everything inside her screamed at her as she gathered her courage and moved passed him and into the kitchen. Instinctively, she reached for for the bottle, stopping just short of touching it. Her shoulders were so tight they ached. Her nerves shooting up every second she had her back to him. A deep breath and her fingers closed around the pod for her single cup coffee machine. Getting it brewing, she turned and found him staring out her window.

Her breath was loud in the silence and he turned, giving her a mocking smile and his eyes were brown again.

She slid up on the bar-stool while waiting for the coffee to finish brewing. "So, how would he know where I live?"

"When I offered you a drink, I knew your preference was whiskey. The way I came by that information was through my employee. The one who helped you gather your belonging when you fell."

"You've been spying on me?"

He shrugged. "I was curious."

She took a deep breath. The anger surprised her. But maybe it shouldn't have. His employee was the reason she had been feeling like someone was watching her. Because someone was. "Couldn't you let me know that you had people watching me? Do you know what it was like to feel eyes on me while waiting in the station? The darkness on either side could hide anything. I was terrified."