Chapter Seventeen

Rage filled her at the sight of them.

The people that conceived her for the purpose of trading her life for that of a goddess. The people that cut her, hurt her, made her bleed. Destroyed her chances of a family of her own. Her free hand clenched and she was desperate to run down that hallway and rip into the 'mother' that took that from her.

Nikolas took that hand and threaded his fingers through it. "Elliot, this isn't the place or time," he said and she pulled her eyes from the argument and looked at her lover.

His jaw was tight and and with black eyes, she knew what he wanted to do. She could feel his rage, as thick and as black as her own. Was... Was this part of the bond? Or was she projecting her emotions onto him

"I want to rip them apart," his voice was a low, dangerous thing and the chills crawled slowly over her skin.

"I want you to," she said as Jonathan's hand slid in front of the door as it started to close.

"I wouldn't recommend it." Nikolas moved in front of Elliot as he took a step and Elliot glared at him.

"I didn't ask."

"Listen. I get it. Really I do. But they are just part of the group. They are the only ones we can track. We send them on their way and have Caleb follow them. We find out where they live and through them, we can find the others."

Chevonne took a deep breath, trying to calm the feeling of hate and blood lust in her mind. "He's right. While I know some of the ones that were there that night, most of the people moved away. I remember mo... Anne telling him that those people were moving around, just in case. Of course, I didn't know what it meant. Now I do." She let go of Nikolas to take Elliot's face in her hands. "And besides, people live here and I know from experience, that this is already causing a scene with my neighbors who are desperate for drama."

He looked at her for a moment before dropping his lips to hers. "I won't let them hurt you again," he whispered against her lips and why did that touch her so deeply? He pulled back and his eyes were mostly brown.

"I believe you." She ran her hand through his hair.

"Can you do this?" he asked and she nodded.

"I can be strong," she said.

His eyes moved over her face before he spoke. "I think perhaps you are the strongest person I know." He looked over her head and nodded to Jonathan who let the door open.

Hoping with everything inside her she didn't prove him wrong, she turned and stood tall. Without another word, holding onto Jonathan for dear life, she stepped out into the hallway.

~~~ 

Her mother was the first to see her.

"Chevonne! My baby! Where have you been? Why won't this... doorman... let us in?"

She swallowed hard and Jonathan squeezed her fingers. She took strength from him, from what he had sacrificed for her. "Mom, I didn't know you were in town. Why didn't you call or text?"

Anne threw Ramon a glare. "We were trying to surprise you for your birthday."

"Where you?" She tried to smile at the woman but it felt more like a grimace. "That's kind of you."

Her eyes flicked to her father. Of course he wasn't looking at her. He was looking at those that surrounded her.

Anne noticed Jonathan. "John! We've been looking for you as well. We didn't realize you were moving. Are you leaving us?"