Chapter Twenty-One

Two days.

Two days of sleeping and eating. Two days of being so weak and lethargic. Two days of rubbery legs by the time she made it to the bathroom. Two days and she couldn't do it anymore. On the third day, she sat up and sung her legs off the bed, determined to do something. Anything.

She felt stronger now and with coherent thoughts, she reminded herself to go easy on the bloodletting.

The shower was heavenly and there was no breathlessness that accompanied her standing. Dressing didn't have her shaking and it was with a smile that she left her prison. Walking past the living room she didn't even look. It was her favorite room she wanted to go. It was her favorite room that she hoped to find life. Life of that of Nikolas and Jonathan.

She turned the corner and before she could see anything, arms were holding her. Arms that she would know anywhere.

"Hey, Chevy."

Wriggling her arms free, she hugged him tight.

"Hey Johnny."

She looked up into warm brown eyes and smiled. "You look a lot better than the last time I saw you."

"You look a lot better then you did last night." He winked at her and pulled away, taking her hand and leading her to the fire.

"You were there? You came to see me?"

"You know better."

"Sorry I worried you," she said.

"It wasn't just me."

"Who?"

"Nikolas. He was pretty pissed when he heard what you did," he said.

"Where is he?"

"He and Caleb went to hunt. They should be back soon."

Guilt flooded her. Had she not given into the impulse to play with Elliot, she probably wouldn't have had that episode.

"Please tell me he didn't..."

"Both nights."

She groaned.

"You said his name in your sleep at one point. He heard it and tried to tell you he was okay. It was cute. Of course, you were pretty comatose."

She dropped to the couch in front of the blazing fire. It wasn't weakness that took her legs that time, it was embarrassment.

"It's okay. He'll be glad to see you." He sat beside her and took her hand.

"Jonathan, how did everything become so strange?"

"Because your parents are poster children for the criminally insane?"

"I suppose that's true." She looked up at him. "Do you regret it?"

"I did at first, then I had no control over myself. In my moments of clarity, I considered ending what had become my life. It's not so bad now. I can be around you again. I can act mostly normal. This was what it was supped to be. Not me going after you."

"I'm glad you chose differently." His hand squeezed hers.

"If that wasn't the mushiest thing I've ever heard..."

Chevonne looked over Jonathan's shoulder and looked into silver blue eyes. "Good evening."

"It is." He sat a chair and looked at her.

Once again there was the feeling of him sizing her up. What did she do wrong?

"We need to talk."