Epilogue

Lips trailed over her bare shoulder and Chevonne was helpless against the chills that covered her skin.

Looking at the reflection in her window, she could see Elliot behind her as he wrapped his arms around her waist. Her laughter was soft when she thought about the differences between then and now. Should she turn, it wouldn't be out of fright, and should she stumble, it would be because of desire, not an injured ankle.

That night, so long ago, when she met the man that would forever change her world.

She did turn then, and he ran his fingers down her spine, the low back of her gown offering no protection for the flames his touch always brought.

"Behave," she whispered as his mouth brushed over hers.

"I'm on my best behavior.."

She narrowed her eyes at him and he laughed.

Her soul drank in that sound, for three weeks ago, she didn't think she would hear it again. After a night of horror and death. After what she was certain was her death. She spent a week asleep, them taking turns dripping blood down her throat as she lay unresponsive in her bed. A week to heal from the wounds that Anne had left on her. In her.

She would never forget the moment when she opened her eyes and it was day, and her vampires were still with her. Elliot and Nikolas on either side of her and Caleb asleep in the chair. Her men were exhausted. While she thought that the bond faded ,it was her that faded. The bond was still working, helping her recover from the trauma of that night. A trauma that would never happen again.

There was another week trying to convince them that she was no longer on death's door and that she wouldn't break if someone hugged her.

The last week began with her asking Elliot out because she was going to go crazy if she didn't get out of bed. The smile on his face when she said she wanted to dance with him was priceless. She promised that she wouldn't slap him and he laughed.

And here they were.

"Are you ready?" he asked and she nodded.

He led them to the hall and she locked her door and would not think about the moment when she pushed Anne to her limit. Would she have taken such drastic measures had Chevonne not thrown it in her face that she knew? She couldn't know that answer and it would haunt her.

Madelyn lived and Jonathan kept in touch with her. She lived in the city but for now, wanted nothing to do with Chevonne. She couldn't blame her. But she told Jonathan to give her her phone number just in case and he told her later that she took it. Maybe one day she might get to know her little sister.

The elevator ride was short and as they left, she gave Ramon a wave. "Be careful out there," she said and he gave her a smile then his eyes flicked to Elliot.

She didn't know what that was but she could deal with it later.

The car ride was quick and then the door was open and the doorman helped her out.

Elliot touched her glove covered elbow and she looked up at him.

"The first two times, you walked in alone. Perhaps the third time is the charm?" He held out his arm and with a soft laugh, she took it.

"I always wondered why you couldn't meet me that first night. I didn't know anything, much less where to go."

"Because I was curious," he said, grin sinful. "I was curious to see if you would actually go through with it. I watched from the window above and you got out and even without seeing your face, I could feel the tension coming off you. I expected you go rushing back down the stairs, but you didn't."