Chapter Six

The rain from the night before had changed over to snow and she stood at her window, staring at the white world below her. Her second cup of coffee wasn't doing much for her and she had to blame herself for her lack of sleep.

Questions she couldn't answer kept her tossing and turning.

What was going through her mind when she called out to him that last time? How could she forget what kept him alive when she looked at those firm lips? How did his touch affect her so deeply?

But, it was the bright light of day now. Easier to put separation between them when taking into consideration that they would never watch a sunrise or set together. Even if she, in some horribly misguided fantasy, wanted to pursue a relationship with the vampire.

She repressed her shiver with another sip of hot coffee.

Having given up on sleep an hour before, she was already dressed, moving boxes and bag on the island. She was as ready as she could be. Except she said she would wait for his employee. She glanced at the clock anchored to the bare brick wall before turning her back on the brightness from outside. Only a few more minutes. She could be that patient, right?

Having lived on her own for so long, it chaffed a bit to be waiting for someone else. But, seeing as how this person was supposed to help her stay alive...

One more glance at the clock and she would wait the last couple of minutes in the lobby.

Locking up, she headed to the elevator and refused to remember the last thing he said to her before the steel doors separated them.

Much to her delight, she found the green-eyed man waiting for her. The one who warned her about her cut.

He stood from the sofa as she approached and held out his hand. "I'm glad to formally meet you," he said. "I'm James."

She took his hand and was impressed with his handshake. Not limp but not hard enough to hurt.

"Chevonne. It's a pleasure."

"Would you prefer driving or subway?"

"Driving. Please. The subway is going to be off-limits to me for a while."

"Elliot told me about what happened." He glanced up and past Chevonne. "Let's continue this in the car, if you don't mind."

"Please."

Snow crunched under their feet as they passed the maintenance men trying to clear the steps. The street had been cleared and chains laced the tires of the SUV he drove. She wondered if Elliot supplied the vehicles or were they owned by his people. He held the door open for her before climbing in. He must not have been there very long because the heater was soon blowing warm air.

She was beginning to think that the conversation was abandoned when he broke the silence.

"I was told to follow you, keep an eye on you but that if I were to make contact, then to back off." He kept his eyes on the road as he spoke. "I radioed in that I spoke to you and someone else was supposed to tail you." A quick glance at her. "Elliot informed me that you two have discussed this and for me to be honest with you. He said that you weren't too pleased when you found out."

She gave a quick nod. "Yes to both." She gave a little smile. It wasn't his fault. He was doing his job. "How did you become employed by... Elliot?

"I'm still not sure. One day I was panhandling, and that night, I was being interviewed by the most terrifying person I have ever met."

The brief laugh couldn't be stopped. "I'm certain I can relate."

Terrifying. Only, it wasn't wholly that. Even before she knew what he was, there was that aura about him. Powerful. Dominating. Perfectly in control. She couldn't help but wonder what he was like before he became what he was.