Chapter Fourteen

"Chevonne, meet Caleb. Caleb, Chevonne." Nikolas said. "I tried to get in touch with you last night but you were already on your flight. It's not a master vampire we're looking for."

The new man said nothing, simply looked at her briefly before turning his attention to Nikolas.

"If you want to go back, it's fine. I just want you to understand what we are up against."

"And that is?"

Elliot stood and walked around the chair. "We don't know. Based on what little information we have, there is a cult that wants to do bad things to her."

"You know I don't do humans. They're too fragile." Caleb's silver blue eyes flicked back to Chevonne, assessing and dismissing her in the same look.

"What about gods? Goddesses?"

Her vision flickered and the word was weaker. Why did that seem... ominous?

"I... something..." She looked at Elliot. "Say her name."

"What name?"

"The one Jonathan said."

"Nyx?"

The dark wasn't as dark now and the figure seemed... hazy. She could still make her out, but she was more translucent.

"Time is slipping away. Drink."

Chevonne took a deep breath as the library came back into focus. There was no dizziness or sickness this time. Only a feeling of desperation. "I will," she whispered.

"What in the hell was that?" Caleb asked, frowning at her.

"Part of what is going on. But... we don't know," Nikolas said before taking Caleb. She heard him trying to explain what little they knew.

Elliot knelt at her feet. "Are you sure about this?"

"Of course not, but Nikolas explained a lot about what would happen."

He gave her that half smile she loved. "Was that before or after the sexy little cries?"

She fought the heat in her cheeks and lost. "Before. I had to pay him for his protection and that was what led to what you heard."

Elliot glanced over his shoulder. "He didn't—"

She pulled his face back to hers. "He asked me for a kiss. That's all. It's not his fault that things... progressed."

The dark look left his eyes and she almost wished she had kept her mouth shut at the half-smile. "What about me?"

How far did she want to take his game? There was so much happening inside her that it scared her. But there was also that feeling of home. She knew what would happen if she were to say the words dancing on her tongue. She knew exactly where it would lead. Could she be brave enough to say it?

He had done so much for her. Kept her alive twice. Possibly a third time, depending on how this new thing played out. But as easy as it would be to chalk it up to gratitude, it was more like a hidden desire, that wasn't hiding anymore. Was she scared? Of course. But did she long for it? Yes. Fear and desire.

"Chevonne, I was kid—"

She touched his lips. "You've done so much for me, Elliot. Aside from two instances in which I questioned everything about you. You've done so much. If you do this last thing. If you keep me from becoming a mindless slave," she took a deep breath and leaned forward, "I'll do whatever you want. For one night." She gave the silent vampire a smile. "Provided it doesn't kill me, of course."