Chapter 14 Jane

Mara stands on the small lifted podium, in a dress that falls down towards her feet

Mara stands on the small lifted podium, in a dress that falls down towards her feet. In a coral jacket, that seems a bit snug, she watches herself in the massive mirror that glides against the silver walls. Mademoiselle Mikol tilts her head to the side as she stares at Mara determining whether or not she likes the attire. Alfie still has been a bit off since their slight altercation, he hadn't even said one word to Mara while they were in the limo. It makes her sad, and a part of her misses even the small teasing that they do with one another. Being here, without his feedback makes her feel utterly alone.

As Mara runs her hand along the dress she doesn't feel comfortable about the choice or confident in herself. For a moment she feels like a prized pony, trotting around for the fame and glory, not for her own glorification. Is this entire adventure going to be strictly for other's delight? The only time she felt remotely sane is when she spent those lovely moments with Peter, underneath the waterfall, listening to the sound of it's downpour. She'd give anything to be back there now.

"I think it needs a hat," Mademoiselle Mikol says.

She walks over towards the back of the shop and is heard rummaging through her things while Mara turns to face Alfie. He is looking down at his phone typing away as if something of the utmost importance is laying there.

"So what do you think Alfie?"

He doesn't even lift his head before he says, quite rushed, causing Mara to feel self conscience,

"It's fine."

"Alfie,"

Mara dismounts from the small podium and walks over towards him sitting down in a seat next to him. She had been waiting to speak with him about what happened but she couldn't seem to find the words to say. She wants to place her hand on his, console him, but she knows better than to do that right now. "I'm sorry for what happened. I never meant to pressure you, it's just that I care about you and I wanted to help--"

"If you wanted to help Mara you would stay out of it."

"I understand that now and I'm sorry."

"You can't always fix everything Mara, the world will never be perfect, there will most likely never be happy endings. I know that all too well, you have to accept that. You have to come to terms that even with this, there's a possibility that things may not turn out the way we want them."

Alfie stares at her and she's quiet for a moment. She reminds him of his sister, believing in a world that always disappoints. It disappointed her, and they all paid the ultimate price for it. He couldn't allow that to happen to Mara as well. He can see the hesitation in her eyes as she looks away nodding. If he were bolder, more sure, he would have touched her face to console her. He knows better though, he silences his mind, and his twitching hand wanting to follow that reaction.