Colorado

Ricky

Ricky's head shot straight up and he began to breathe heavily as his emotions were split between fear and confusion. He turned his head to the right and frowned.

He had forgotten to turn off his alarm clock the night before.

Ricky frowned, irritated with himself before reaching over to his nightstand and turning the irritating electronic miscreant off.

Ricky sighed tiredly before taking his hand off the alarm clock and turning back to lay completely flat and still on the bed. He had every the intention of going back to sleep. It was the first day of summer vacation.

However, before he could allow his mind to drift back off into the realms of dreamland, his ears picked up the sound of clinking and clattering. He lay there as he listened to the sounds, deducing that his mother was up and making breakfast for the both of them. He was still slightly shaken from his dream but he comforted himself with the reminder that it was only that... just a dream and that vampires were simply pieces of fiction, not of reality. 'I really hate it when that happens.' Ricky thought to himself. Sometimes after watching monster movies, he'd get these weird dreams. They were made by a combination of both the movies and his overactive imagination. He yawned widely as he upright, pushing the dark blue comforter that he had been wrapped up in away from him in regret. He no longer felt like sleeping in after all.

Ricky rubbed his eyes to clear his sleepy vision and let out a heartfelt yawn as he sat up and looked groggily around his room. Dark blue comforter, walls painted light blue. There could be no doubt that blue was his favorite color.

His eyes landed on one of the few posters he had decorated the light blue walls with. The posters depicted some of his favorite horror movies.

An oak dresser lay along one wall with a large attached mirror. He was looking at the mirror now. He wrinkled his nose at the crazy haired, sleepy eyed reflection staring back at him. He stretched his arms high above his head as he gave himself one last grimacing glance before he turned away to look out the window to the left of his bed. The sun was shining brightly and he grinned. 'That is a good sign' he thought to himself. It was a bright sunny first day of summer vacation. Hopefully for him this day would turn out to be both a great day and a great start to his summer vacation.

Ricky stood up and walked the few steps to the window so he could look out and down. He could faintly hear the distant sounds of car horns and police sirens outside. He could make out the hustle and bustle of individuals, some who were on their way to work, some who were running errands, and some who were just like him... enjoying their first day of summer vacation. Ricky rubbed his hands down either side of his head trying to calm his bedhead as he absentmindedly wondered what he would get up to today.

Turning away from the window, Ricky walked past the oak wood nightstand that matched his dresser. He caught a peek of the new book on wolves he had just received and had barely had a chance to read yet. That, he thought as he walked toward his closet to get some clothes, was high priority on his list of what he wanted to do first. Wolves were his passion and he had ordered this new book from Amazon with his allowance. With all the end of year testing and projects due he had had the book for about two weeks now but hadn't had the time to dig in.

Ricky pulled some cargo shorts from some make-shift milk crate shelves in his closet and an old faded grey t-shirt with a wolf outline from a hanger. Discarding the white tee and boxer shorts he preferred to sleep in, Ricky hurriedly pulled on his clean clothes, slipped his feet into an older pair of sneakers that had seen better days but were comfortable and made for summer days of play.