There's a Wolf in the Basement

Ricky

The next morning when Ricky woke up he noticed that the sun was not shining as it had been the last couple of days. Confused and groggy, he slowly climbed out of his bed and walked over to the window to look outside. The sky, or at least the parts he could see through the voluminous shades of greens and browns, was dark, cloudy and grey. 'Looks like it's going to rain soon,' Ricky thought to himself.

He remembered his uncle telling him that he needed to leave for work early today. So Ricky did what he did on his first morning here, he went downstairs to make himself some breakfast. He slowly trekked down the stairs and through the silent living room to the kitchen. When he entered the kitchen he checked the oven clock and saw that it was only eight o'clock. Turning away from the oven Ricky noticed a piece of paper lying on the kitchen table and he walked closer to see if it were for him. Yes, his uncle had left him a note. He picked it up and read.

Ricky,

Left for work. Just wanted to remind you that Rosy will be checking in on you so if you hear a car coming or hear someone outside the door, don't freak out it will be her most likely. Just to be sure though still check through the peephole. And one more thing which is the most important thing to remember... Never go into the woods. Understand? You scared me half to death the last time you went in there. No more adventures.

Love,

Uncle Steve

He blushed at the part of the letter where his uncle reminded him of his foolishness, and had a very bad feeling that his uncle would never let him live it down. Other than his feelings of embarrassment, he smiled gratefully at the reminder that Rosy would be coming over sometime today.

After setting the note aside on the table, Ricky gathered everything he needed for breakfast. He was having cereal again. Since, he was now familiar with Uncle Steve's kitchen gathering everything he needed only took about half a minute. Noticing pleasantly as he did so that his uncle had been to the store. He carried everything to the kitchen table, sat down, poured in his cereal and milk and started munching his way through a bowl of Fruit Loops.

After eating Ricky headed upstairs to get showered and dressed. He decided to wear the same clothes from yesterday as he hadn't done anything to get them dirty. Once dressed he made his way back downstairs with his anxiety pill, went into the kitchen and washed it down with some water. He checked the time on the stove again and saw it was 8:50 a.m.

The boy sighed to himself. He had the whole entire day before him. The big question was what was he going to do today?

Ricky walked back into the living room and plopped himself down on the reclining chair beside the bay window. It was definitely not a good day for exploring outside. Rain was currently pouring down from above and pattering against the window. Not that he would go exploring again, Ricky thought, at least not outside of the yard and the yard did not hold much to explore. It was pretty basic. There were some trees, a garage and the pool. There wasn't much there to investigate or discover. The things to investigate and discover lay beyond the yard and that was completely off limits. He had learned his lesson. Not to mention his uncle's revelation last night of the monster he had fought. There were just too many creepy unknowns in Durango, Colorado for Ricky to allow his curiosity to override his usual cautionary self. At least not a second time.

He wished he could go swimming. But of course, even if it were not raining, he was not allowed to swim without someone else with him. He would have to wait until his uncle got home. Of course, if the weather stayed this way, he most likely wouldn't be able to swim later today either. Thunderstorms and swimming did not go hand and hand. A loud thunderous boom suddenly shook the house as if to reaffirm Ricky's thoughts.