Getting to Know You

Ricky

Ricky checked on the wolf a couple of more times that day but he continued to sleep. Ricky didn't worry about him as much as he had when he had been shot. The wound itself was minor and the silver was removed so Ricky knew the wolf would heal. Knowing now that he did not need water relieved Ricky the most. Last time he had worried so much about him dehydrating. Now he wouldn't. He chose not to think about what he did drink, though. No matter how much he wanted to be cool with it, it was just gross!

When Ricky's uncle arrived home he was in the living room watching television, his tablet on his lap. As was their routine, his uncle joined him and they talked to each other about their day until they both agreed they were hungry. His uncle fixed dinner while Ricky set the table. They chatted some more while they ate. After cleaning up Ricky went for a swim while his uncle paid some bills. Later that night they played a game of checkers and watched a movie. His uncle suggested a horror movie and seemed surprised when Ricky declined, choosing instead an action comedy. Not long after the movie ended they mutually agreed they were ready for bed. Ricky looked longingly toward the kitchen door. He would have loved to go check on the wolf one more time but he didn't risk it and instead followed his uncle up the stairs. His uncle, Ricky thought as he carefully climbed the stairs, would think it was a typical day but Ricky knew it was anything but.

Ricky bounded out of bed earlier than normal the next morning. He was dying to get downstairs to Feral. This time, unlike the last, he could actually communicate with him, talk and learn. It was as exhilarating as it was scary but Ricky refused to let his fear get the better of him. Spending time with this wolf would probably be the most exciting thing he would ever do. When people said 'once in a life-time' they meant moments like this. He was not going to waste it sleeping.

Of course no matter how early he got up, he had to wait until his uncle left for work before he could go down into the basement. Feeling like experimenting while he waited tentatively he called out Feral's name as he ate his cereal. "Feral?"

"Yes, human?"

Ricky about dropped his spoon when he heard the response in his mind. It was no different than their other communication except for the fact the woof was not in front of him, but to Ricky that was what made it so cool!

"Everything okay, kiddo?" his uncle asked, seeing the expression on Ricky's face.

"Oh. Um. Yes," he quickly answered, bowing his head back down to his cereal and spooning up a bite.

He heard his uncle chuckle. "I think you're still half asleep," he heard his uncle comment.

Ricky made a noncommittal noise to his uncle and busied himself with his cereal while he responded to Feral, "Nothing, sorry!"

Ricky heard a snort in his mind in answer. He had to suppress a giggle.

Ricky bounded upstairs for a shower. He brushed his teeth, dressed and took his pill. By the time he was done his uncle was on his way out the door.

"I might be home early tonight, Ricky," he said, pausing at the front door to look back at his nephew. "I'll give you a call if I can. Maybe we can go kayaking!"

Ricky smiled, "Sounds great!" he replied. And it did, it just wasn't very good timing, he thought.

Ricky waved good-bye to his uncle and watched him walk out the front door. Ricky made himself be patient. He waited for the sound of the truck's engine and the extra minute it took for his uncle to pull away and drive down the driveway.

As soon as the coast was clear, Ricky made a b-line for the kitchen door. Busting through the swinging door he made his way to the basement door, turned on the lights, and as fast as he could down the stairs. Ricky wished that he was brave enough to bound down the steps, as he had seen so many other people do, but he just wasn't and he couldn't.