The Gift

Feral

Feral took more care of Ricky on the trip back. Feral did not fully understand autism but he was coming to understand the boy. The boy very much wanted to fly yet he was hindered by the sensory issues that plagued him. Just as he enjoyed watching the fireworks but was hindered by the loud noises. The things that hindered the human did not prevent him from doing things it just made it a little more difficult.

So as they prepared to leave, Feral explained to Ricky what he was going to do when he was going to do it. Feral watched as the boy braced himself both physically and mentally and did not take flight until the boy gave him the okay.

As he hoped, Ricky relaxed a bit more though he refused to open his eyes. Feral chuckled to himself. In time, he thought, the boy would become more used to flying. That thought led him to wondering how much time would there actually be?

As he had learned yesterday, the boy lived in New York. He would go home eventually. Would there enough time? Feral shook his head, refusing to think about how the thought of the human leaving was making him feel.

So instead, he asked, "How are you doing human?"

"Fine," came the squeaked response. "Better."

Feral kept low to the trees and whisked them around and through the dense foliage, keeping careful to avoid the light or clearings. "Open your eyes at least once human," Feral encouraged, wanting the boy to experience, at least partially one of his lifelong dreams. "I am holding you securely. I will not let you drop." he promised.

Seconds ticked by with no response. Feral waited patiently, hoping the boy would at least take a peek. A slight gasp, alerted Feral. An awe inspired whisper of, "Wow!" confirmed for him that the boy had risked a peep, as Feral had known he would. He dealt with a lot of issues but the kid did deal with them. An admirable trait, Feral thought.

"This is awesome!" the boy said. 'And terrifying!" he squealed in the next breath as Feral barely skirted a large pine.

"Are your eyes closed again, human?" Feral asked.

"Uh huh!" the boy responded, his chin tucked in low to his chest.

"I have not run into a tree in many, many year human," he assured the boy. "I will not run into one tonight. Open your eyes again and enjoy the view. We are almost back to your home."

Feral watched as the boy slowly raised his head and seemed to peer forward through have closed lids. Feral heard an, "Oh geez!" and an, "Oh my gosh!" float up to him as time passed. Feral stayed silent and let the human process the experience on his own terms.

In no time they were back at the boy's home. Feral lowered the boy gently and silently to the ground. He held onto the boy's shirt until he was sure the boy was steady on his feet before releasing him. Feral eased himself to the ground to stand directly in front of the boy.

Feral looked up at him. The human's face was pale but he had a smile on his face and his eyes shown with excitement. "That was cool!" he exclaimed in a quiet whisper.

"High praise indeed," Feral teased.

Feral watched as the boy ran his hand through his spiky hair. 'Oh my gosh, Feral. Thank you so much!" Before Feral knew what the kid was going to do, Ricky had wrapped his arms around Feral's next and squeezed tightly in his excitement. "That was the best gift ever!" the boy whispered into his ear.

Feral stiffened at the initial contact. He was not used to being touched. It felt strange and unusual but also oddly warming. A gamut of emotions ran through Feral as he tried to process how the human's hug made him feel.