The Return of the Men in Black

Ricky

Ricky hummed as he walked through the woods. Several days had passed since Ricky had given Feral his gift, well... Ricky liked to think of it as two gifts; the pendant and his identity as a Bloodfang.

Feral had also given Ricky a gift that day. He now called him Ricky. Their relationship had altered. Walls had crumbled and a bond of trust was born. Theirs was a real friendship now.

Carrying the bag over his shoulder with his art supplies, Ricky carefully ducked under a low lying branch. This particular branch belonged to a tree with a log symbol. They were going to meet in the small clearing today and Ricky was following the map as Feral had instructed.

Ricky was happy. Feral and he had shared so much over the last couple of weeks. They traipsed through the woods most days. Ricky was no longer scared of them. He knew his way around pretty good thanks to Feral and he knew what secrets hid in their depths but he also knew he had the Bloodfang on his side. His presence, always near, a mind call away, gave Ricky a sense of security that had been missing.

On the very rainy days they stayed inside at his uncle's house. Feral did not mind the rain but Ricky preferred to stay dry. He especially did not like to be outside if there was thunder or lightening. The booming noise, when inside was difficult enough for Ricky without enduring it in the cold wetness outdoors, unprotected by any man made shelter.

They talked a lot on those days. Feral had started sharing more and more of himself with Ricky. He confessed to Ricky about his mother and how she had died and about how much he loved her and she loved him. He had even told Ricky about his beginnings as Hidden Paw, an unwelcome runt with an unloving father. Life for him, Ricky thought, had been difficult. He couldn't imagine being attacked by a vampire and changed so fundamentally that his family, or in Feral's case, his pack would threaten to kill him and did in fact banish him.

Ricky had lost his father but he couldn't imagine losing his mother, too. He couldn't imagine being alone and no longer himself and surviving as Feral had. He was an amazing creature, Ricky thought. He was proud to call Feral his friend.

Feral too, seemed very fond of Ricky. On one rainy afternoon Feral had told Ricky that because of him, his compassion, bravery, and acceptance of a monster, that Feral was now able to open himself to their friendship. He had laughingly told Ricky that he did not know human's had such powers. Ricky had blushed. He had never thought of himself as powerful or brave in his entire life. The fact that Feral described him this way meant the world to Ricky. Through Feral's golden woofy eyes, Ricky could see himself differently and he was starting to like what he saw. He was starting to accept that being different, just being himself, was pretty darn good, quirks and all.

Ricky smiled in complete contentment. The summer was theirs! Nothing could go wrong now!

Snap!

Ricky jumped at the sudden noise as if someone had stepped on a twig and broken it. He looked down at his feet, knowing the noise hadn't come from under him but hoping anyway that it was him. As he expected, there was nothing under his boot that would have made that sound.

Ricky looked back up and glanced around the forest. He was starting to get a really bad feeling! Ricky lifted his foot up to start retracing his steps. He needed to leave and now!

"Why hello." A voice sing-songed into the silence before Ricky could take a step.

Ricky whirled to his right to where he had heard the voice. His stomach dropped. Two men dressed fully in black stepped out of the shadows. Two men Ricky had encountered once before!