Getting to Know You Part II

Ricky

Early the next morning Ricky lay in his bed. He could hear his uncle showering, getting ready to go to work. Ricky stretched and snuggled a bit deeper under his covers. He would not get up until he heard his uncle make his way downstairs. That would signal the bathroom was free. So as he lay with his eyes closed, he replayed yesterday's memories still in awe of being able to talk with a wolf. Actually becoming...friends with one.

Uncle Steve had not come home early after all, the day before. That had given Ricky a lot of time with Feral. Though still exhausted from his silver-induced injury, Feral had stayed awake for a large chunk of the day. They had talked and talked. Well, Ricky conceded, he had done most of the talking actually. But Feral had participated and had seemed genuinely interested.

The subject had mostly revolved around places Ricky would like to visit and the things he would like to do there. Of course those things usually revolved around animals in one way or the other. Ricky talked about the importance of animal conservation and endangered species and protecting animal's rights. A huge advocate for animals it was something Ricky could talk about for days! Getting an animal's perspective, even if only minutely, on the subject was priceless.

Ricky did get around to asking the wolf other questions like; what are your hobbies, what do you do during the night, what is your favorite food? Ricky had regretted asking the last question as soon as he had asked. What was a normal question to ask a human was not necessarily the best question to ask a vampire wolf. Thankfully, Feral hadn't answered. He had just eyed Ricky for a long moment. It had not taken long for the light bulb to click. Ricky had quickly stuttered and changed the subject.

When his uncle had arrived home, Ricky had-had to tell, Feral good night. The wolf had replied in kind, closed his eyes and had appeared to promptly fall asleep. Ricky had felt guilty as he walked up the basement stairs. He had obviously over tired the wolf who was still recovering. Ricky realized that it was probably a good thing that he would not be able to return for the night. The wolf needed to sleep.

As Ricky lay in the comfort of his bed he tried to come up with new questions he could ask Feral. There were so many things he wanted to ask but was not sure which were appropriate and which were too nosy. In all of the books Ricky had ever read on wolves, wolf etiquette had never been covered.

The sound of footsteps thudding down the steps was Ricky's cue to get out of bed. He showered and dressed in record time, gabbed his anxiety medication and made his way downstairs to the kitchen. His uncle was frying bacon in one pan and making a cheese omelet on another.

"Good, you're here!" his uncle exclaimed. "Morning kiddo. Do you want ham in your omelet?" he asked as he flipped the sizzling bacon with a spatula.

"No thanks, just cheese," Ricky answered, swallowing his pill down with some chocolate milk. He then started gathering plates and silverware for the table as he had been doing for several days now. His uncle and he had come to develop their own little routine when it came to breakfast and dinner.

Uncle Steve set a plate down in front of Ricky before setting one down for himself across the table. Within seconds they were both eating while casually discussing plans for the day. "Sorry Ricky," he uncle said. "It looks like another late night for me," he confessed. "Winter time is usually our busiest time of the season but things are kind of hectic right now. I lost a few employees and until I get them replaced I got to help out."

"I understand, Uncle Steve," Ricky responded, feeling a little guilty that he didn't feel as bad as he should about the news. "I can entertain myself," he reassured him.