The Promise of a Bloodfang

Feral

The flight was silent as Feral flew high above the forest. The land below was not populated. It was just rolling hills and mountains, making Feral's path easier and quicker with little risk of being seen. Ricky sat atop Feral, his arms wound tightly around his neck. Though Feral had never allowed Ricky to fly with him this way, he made an exception for tonight. The boy was exhausted and at his wits end. If sitting like this made him feel even the least little bit better, a tiny bit safer, then it was worth breaking his rule. Besides, the rule was only for Feral's dignity and no other reason. What was a little loss of dignity for a friend?

The boy had remained silent throughout the flight, Feral noted. His continued silence bothered Feral, profoundly. Ricky was not a chatter but he was usually full of facts and ideas that he liked to share. Tonight, however he said not a word.

Feral spoke up. "Are you alright?" he asked gruffly.

It took a few seconds but Ricky finally answered. "The two vampires, Darius and Fletcher," Ricky started thoughtfully and Feral heard the worry in his voice. "They talked about pleasing their leader by finally being the ones to capture you. Do you know anything about him?"

Feral sighed. "I do not Ricky," Feral answered thoughtfully. "Whoever it was," he continued in a disgusted tone, "Is a coward for not handling the job himself." He shook his head. "Those two even more so because they used a boy to get to me. They deserve their death!" he growled.

The thought of Ricky at the mercy of the two vampires made Feral want to rip into them all over again. Though strong and brave in his own way, Ricky was also fragile in so many others. Vampires, he knew all too well, acted without honor. He would do well to remember that in the future.

He sighed out loud. "More will come after me," Feral finally commented not expecting Ricky's quiet response.

"And me as well."

Stunned, Feral shook his head no adamantly. "Only Darius and Fletcher knew about you. You were obviously their secret weapon. They would not have risked such a coup as you by telling others. Even vampires know not to trust their own kind," Feral quickly assured Ricky. "You will be safe," he vowed, knowing in his heart what he needed to do to keep that promise.

Feral was thankfully saved from having to say any more on the matter as he spotted familiar landmarks that indicated they were almost to Ricky's uncle's house. Gently, ever conscious of the boy on his back, he descended down to the ground, landing softly on his feet. Ricky gave Feral, one last squeezing hug around his neck before he slid down off his side to land on the ground with a soft thud.

Ricky stood in the yard, looking around. "Where is my uncle?" he asked.

"He is in the house," Feral told him and explained what he had done before flying off to search for him. "He is only unconscious," Feral assured him. "Your uncle will most likely wake with a nasty bump and little memory of what happened," he reassured Ricky, who looked so young and breakable.

"Phew," Ricky said with a gusty sigh of relief. "Can you help me get him into his bed?" he suddenly asked. "Things will be easier to... explain tomorrow if he wakes up there." Ricky said.

"You will have to lie to him again," Feral commented. "I know you do not like to lie to him."

Ricky grimaced. "I don't think even he would believe the story I have to tell," He looked down at Feral. "In this case, a lie is the only way to go unless I want to be sent back for some psychiatric testing."