Homesick Pt.2 (A Small Gift)

-Naomi-

The group's been walking for a while and we've entered a forest that appeared to be freezing cold. Along with the fact that we didn't have any jackets: we...were...freezing! I'm not sure about everyone else but, I think I'm going to turn into ice. I hate the cold. As beautiful as it looks, I can't stand the temperature of 10 below. 

"Everyone, think warm!" Gowamon encouraged.

The closest thing I could think about was a fire or a hot bowl of pozole at dinner. It actually worked.

"C'mon, guys the cold is not that terrible!" Tai laughed. We stare at him in disbelief.

"Perhaps not, if you were a polar bear or a penguin." Izzy corrected.

"Well, yeah, but if it snows, we'll throw some snowballs!"

"And make snowmen!" Mimi squealed.

That probably wouldn't be such a bad idea, despite the cold. I look at Joe for his opinion and notice that he's got a concerned look.

"Hey, Joe, you okay?" I pat his shoulder.

"I just think it'd be horrible if it started snowing. We've got to be serious about this."

"Lighten up a little, Joe!" Said Sora,"were just trying to look on the positive side of things."

"You know, if the temperature drops any lower than it is already, we wouldn't be able to camp out anymore."

And that's where he got me. There is no way in heaven or hell that I would be sleeping in the cold. The group had a small laugh from their joking around and continued on. We walk a half a mile further and come across a winter wonderland. Hahaha, nope.

"What now, guys?" Asked Sora.

"I think we should keep going. We're not going to get anywhere just sitting here," Tai suggested.

"Yeah but, if we were to walk across this snow, our feet will go numb." I objected. "Its impossible to continue."

This debate wasn't getting us anywhere. It was either play it safe or risk our health in the cold. The topic didn't last very long when the digimon picked up a odd smell. Getting a whiff ourselves, it smelled like steam. But, where was it coming from? Upon closer inspection, the steam was coming from a geyser. We got excited as we ran toward the water source, only to find out that it was too hot for us to get in. The water was boiling.

"Well, there go my big dreams of a nice warm bath," Mimi whimpered.

"Its looks so inviting!" Palmon said otherwise. I couldn't tell if she was joking or not.

It didn't matter if we couldn't get a bath. What was more important is this case was to find some food. Fortunately, T.K. saved us again as he found a legit refrigerator full of eggs! As expected, Joe was wary about this. Even so, we had to eat something!

In the end, we ate the eggs in the fridge. We had a fire, made our own utensils, and cooked our food with content. There were scramble eggs, hard boiled, sunnyside up, you name it. We chow down and it felt like heaven. Everyone rejoiced over the food and imagined how much better they would taste if we had toppings to add onto it.

I noticed that Joe seemed a little more upset than usual and I believed that Gowamon noticed it too. "What's the matter, Joe? You haven't eaten anything."

"Oh, I was just thinking that if we were able to go back home, ketchup wouldn't be a problem.." he replied, sorrowfully.

Reality had hit everyone else and we all felt homesick once again. Sora tried to lighten the mood and asked what everyone's favorite toppings were. It seemed to a good distraction, despite the weird things everyone put on their eggs. I smile at the warm sight of our group when I heard a rustling sound behind me. I turn my head back and see a familiar silhouette rush through.

"Excuse me, guys. I'll be right back."

I walk into the forest to find: nothing. Before turning back, I heard a thud. I look down and see a backpack. Scratch that, it was my backpack! It had everything. My pencil bag, my sketchbook, and most of all, the snacks I brought for camp! The boxes that the snacks were supposed to be in were gone, surprisingly. However, they were cardboard. Either way, this was perfect!

I ran back to the group with a big smile plastered on my face,"guys, guess what?!"

They looked at me confused then surprised once I showed them my loot.

"Naomi, where did you get this?!" Sora asked agape.

"I have no idea," I answered,"I thought I lost my bag ages ago. Then suddenly, I find it near a bush over there." I point towards the forest.

Everyone was glad to know that we now have extra food for tomorrow. That's when I realized something.

"Hey, where did Joe go?"

"He had to cool off," said Tai.

"Oh..."

As we waited for Joe to get back, we decided to think about our next course of action. Tai thought about climbing Infinity Mountain, but Matt disagreed saying it was too dangerous. It t was around this time when Joe rejoined the group. Hearing this heated debate, he thought it would be best to stop the fighting. Instead he got caught in it himself. They began to yell over one another and it was too much!

"Put a cork in it, you three!" Sora shouted. The boys hushed up, thank God, and listened to what she had to say,"now, grow up. We have to decide on what to do."

"No kidding, and it's getting dark," I added. "We should probably get some rest. How about it, to the caves?"

We all rushed inside to get comfortable and were out like a light. Well, most of us were. I made sure everyone was asleep before walking outside. I went for the base of the mountain, which wasn't that far down, and took out my sketchbook. The pages looked to be well dry as I flipped through it. Though, some of my drawings were smudged. That's disappointing. I hear a twig snap and I jumped.

"Who's there?"

"Don't worry about it, toots! It's just me." Said a familiar voice.

"Impmon?"

"In the digital flesh!"

He comes from the bushes with a friendly smirk. I run up to hug him, not too hard this time. The digimon patted my back and I pull away.

"How've you been, kid?"

"Good, and you?"

"Eh. Nothing much has changed since I ran into ya. I still watch over you every now and then though. Speaking of which, I see you got the package I left for ya."

I laughed,"I figured it was you who brought it. Thanks."

"No problem. But, it is pretty late. Should you be sleepin'?"

"I couldn't sleep. Besides, I had a feeling you were going to show up. It's nice to talk to you."

"You too, kid. But I think you should rest your eyes."

"Yeah, you're right." I pack up my things and waved,"goodbye, Impmon. Hope to see you again soon."

"Same to you, toots." And he ran off.

It was sad to see him leave. Yet, I didn't complain. I knew I would see him again. I go back to the cave and I realized it was morning. Yikes, I must've lost track of time. I look over the sleeping group and noticed that Joe was gone, again! I looked down and find a message written in the dirt.

"I'll be back in a little while. Please wait for me. -Joe" 

Oh, you've got to be kidding me. He didn't think about going up the mountain, did he?! I quickly woke everyone up and told them the situation. Sora and Tai took initiative and went to get Joe. Luckily, they made it on time before he could see the afterlife. It turns out, he and Gowamon were attacked by a digimon that was, once again, controlled by a black gear. Miraculously, Gowamon ended up digivolving to the campion level and saved them. I'm glad....

-Impmon-

I'm sorry, toots. It's obvious that I'm your partner and I'm aware of it. But, I can't show myself in front of them, not yet. I'll just keep watching over you and protect you. All I ask is for you to be patient with me and wait....