THE BROKEN PROPHECY Chapter 2

This is a fanfic and I make no money from this. Original copyrights belong to Dreamworks and Cresedia Cowell

Chapter 2

     The world slowly returns to focus, the simple comfort of darkness and dreamless sleep replaced by a light drizzle as it filters through the green canopy overhead. It takes the youth a couple of tries before climbing to his feet. His vision blurs from the intensity of his headache, a spike of molten iron plunging through his skull leaving his stomach twisted into a hot knot of pain. After several minutes, and as many deep breaths, he barely manages to keep himself from emptying his stomach. With the world resolving to become more mundane, he begins to notice things around him. Everything seems off. The world itself seems smaller than he remembers, and physically finds that he, himself, doesn't feel like everything is in the right place. Almost like his body was pulled apart and put back together at random. His hands feel like they now reside at the end of his legs, and his arms feel completely out of place, like they are joined to his back. His head, like the rest of him feels heavy and awkward. With some difficulty, Hiccup brings a hand to his face, trying to rub the sleep from his eyes. While mostly successful, he becomes overbalanced, and stumbles. Thrusting his other hand to catch himself only manages to trip him into and over a fallen tree, beginning an uncontrolled roll downhill. Over and over, faster and faster he tumbles until for one heart stopping moment he feels weightless as he tumbles off a short cliff.

     With a thunderous splash, Hiccup finds himself in the icy cold water of a spring fed lake, deep in the heart of a high walled cove. On the far shore, Hiccup can see what looks to be a natural grotto, but frowns for a moment as he sees no obvious paths out of this remarkable place.

     The sudden cold, does however, clear his head as he thrashes uncoordinatedly to the edge of the pond. Dragging himself ashore, Hiccup finally takes a moment to examine himself and his surroundings closely. His hands are the first thing he truly sees. He has thick, legs... Four of them, the front pair end in what feels like his hands, the rear feel like his feet. He has four fingers/toes on each, with each ending in long, sharp talons. His skin has become covered in shiny black scales, with sunlight catching subtle hints of blues and purples in the pearlescent shine.

     Carefully, albeit clumsily, he stumbles back toward the edge of the water. Looking into the mirror like surface, he finds gazing back, a sleek, triangular head. Frills drape backwards from the top of his new head and partially cover his neck. Two of the larger frill perk up at an odd sound coming from the far side of the cove. Paying it no mind, he drops his gaze once more to the reflection. Large, violet, horror filled eyes stare back from the onyx face. A block of ice drops into Hiccup's belly, "Oh, the gods must hate me. Most people lose a knife, or a mug. I manage to lose an entire dragon, and then wake up to find myself transformed into one.  What is dad going to say? Is there even a way to explain this, without my head getting put on a spike?" Turning his head to get a good, hard look at his sleek form. "I've never seen a dragon like this in the 'Book of Dragons'." 'Is this what a Night Fury looks like'?

     Again Hiccup catches an odd noise, like a cross between a grumble and groan floating across the lake. Turning his eyes away from his reflection, he squints, trying to find the source of the sound. Slowly and as quietly as he can, he closes the distance, walking around the edge of the lake. His large feet/paws move with surprising stealth across the uneven terrain. Looking about he gets a better look around. A large pile of grey rocks, a couple of small trees, and a smallish pile of black rocks that shift at his approach.