THE BROKEN PROPHECY Chapter 14

This is a fanfic and I make no money from this. Original copyrights belong to Dreamworks and Cresedia Cowell

Chapter 14

Kari slowly wakes, the darkness of the cave she and Tannlaus moved into is nothing compared to the darkness she finds herself in every waking moment. Her nose snuffles around, finding his scent has gone cold, but fresh fish lies nearby. Eating a few, she realizes he is gathering more fish than she could eat in several meals.

"Kari? Are you awake, youngling?" Gypsum's familiar voice calls into the cave. The older dragon's scent is partially colored by another musky scent.

"I'm up, Gypsum. I'm glad to hear from you. It's been almost two weeks... I was afraid you had forgotten all about us." Kari teases. "Your scent is different... Are you with someone?"

"In a manner of speaking... I'm carrying a clutch of eggs." she says proudly.

"So you DID find a young male to spend some time with."

"I did. He is so clever, and sweet. I may have to keep him." She teases back, making Kari laugh. "Oh! There is a sound I was afraid I would never hear."

"If you are hungry, you can help yourself. Tannlaus is overdoing the whole fishing for the two of us, thing." Kari steps into the entryway of the cave, sunlight warm against her dark scales. Gypsum gasps when she sees the young dragon's milky white eyes.

"Kari? Oh hatchling!"

"It's alright..." Despite the smile on her face, her voice holds a hint of regret. "nothing can be done about it now. Swift has been quite helpful in getting me around the nest. He thinks we might be able to fly together. I just don't have the heart to tell him, I don't know how to fly."

The older dragon chuckles, "I think there may be a solution for that. Nearby, the western edge of the nest overlooks the ocean, and there is a powerful updraft. The dragons here use it to help train the hatchlings."

"Morning Kari!" Tannlaus calls as he lands. "Oh! Good morning to you, as well Gypsum". The larger male butts his head against the short brown Stone-biter. He pauses as he sniffs the older dragon, "Congratulations! I just ran into Azurestorm and she's expecting too."

"Volcus found a mate as well, and I've seen little Swift courting a couple of brightly colored females," she croons back. "Now, we just need to get you two settled." Her yellow eyes grow wide as she sees the pair suddenly act very sheepish. "No!" she gasps. "Yes? When?"

Kari nods silently, looking very uncomfortable suddenly. "Don't tell anyone yet. We... We made up the night after finding about Tannlaus' mother."

Tannlaus chuckles, "It looks like this nest is going to be filled with hatchlings come mid-winter."

"Mid-winter? That soon?" She turns her head towards the sound of her mates voice. Using her nose, she manages to avoid 'staring' into empty space. "Vikings take nine months, before they give birth."

Gypsum laughs, "Dragons only need about six before we lay our eggs, and then only a week or so to wait for them to hatch. I hope they have warm pools or springs around here. I really don't like the idea of getting too close to the old hatching grounds." she says with a tremble in her voice.

Kari lies down, resting her head on her paws. "Pools? Hatching grounds?"

Tannlaus nuzzles her cheek as he settles down beside her. "Dragons are very social during hatching season. For almost two weeks, you will find all sorts of breeds sharing space. The pools and springs are for the hatching eggs."