THE BROKEN PROPHECY Chapter 22

This is a fanfic and I make no money from this. Original copyrights belong to Dreamworks and Cresedia Cowell

Chapter 22

"Common lazybones! It's time to fly!"

Kari makes a nonsensical grumble, to her all too chipper mate.

"What's wrong, love? Didn't sleep well?" a huff of his warm breath against her cheek brings an involuntary grin to her sleep addled face.

"It takes so long to get comfortable..." she grumbles. True to her word, Azurestorm had been right. Kari's feet felt like leather sacks filled with water, her scales were duller than she would have normally liked, and she felt as big as a house (not that is showed, her mate would assure her almost daily). Looking from her warm patch of cave, the early light of morning is already reflecting brightly off the blanket of snow. "It snowed again..."

"Weren't you the one telling me, 'Berk has the kind of balmy fun-in-the-sun weather that will give you frostbite on your spleen?' Or how it 'rains nine months of the year and hails the other three'." he says with a chortle.

"That sounds like something I'd say." she yawns. "So what's the plan, then Mister Bossy?"

"I thought we could get some fish, then maybe check out what all the noise is about."

Yawning again, Kari arches her back, working kinks and stiffness from her wings. A quick flutter sends a cloud of dust from the cave back out into the calm of the cove. "What noise?"

Tannlaus watches his mate with an appreciative gaze, "I've been hearing a lot of hammering coming from the village, over the last few days. I know you haven't been back to town to visit your family in weeks. We should go, if for no other reason than to see your mother." He gives his mate a slight frown.

"I know family means a lot to you, Tannlaus..." she lets her thoughts hang there.

"Your father has tried... You know that." Kari gets up, stretching sinuously, letting the length of her body slide under her mates chin. "Umm... What was I talking about?"

Chuckling Kari paces the length of their cave. During the course of the last five months, the couple have hollowed out more of the natural cavern, giving ample room to move about. Kari had even spent a great deal of time transplanting large bushes from other areas of the island to line the front entrance.

Tannlaus watches with a growing look of concern. "Are you hungry?" he asks, not quite knowing what has his mate so agitated.

Huffing impatiently, "No... I'm just not feeling well. My stomach feels twisted, and I'm tired." The dragons watch the sun rise over the cove's tall wall in silence. Tannlaus sits as still as a statue, as he watches his mate fidget and move. Her wings flutter with a barely contained energy, stirring up small dust devils in her passing.

The silence is broken by the roar of a strange Flametongue soaring overhead. Its call is answered by another, then another. Unfamiliar dragons fly in a loose formation toward the northwest. Kari steps to the edge of their cave, a restlessness suddenly filling her with the need to take wing.

"Kari?" her mate asks as he joins her. Looking into the sky, the pair can see dragons of all types and from all over the island beginning to join the strangers. "You want to follow, don't you? Like something is calling you?"

She turns in shock, "What? No... I mean..."

Tannlaus nuzzles her, "I know what's happening..." The grin he gives her, leaves her confused. "It's time, Love."