THE BROKEN PROPHECY Chapter 21

This is a fanfic and I make no money from this. Original copyrights belong to Dreamworks and Cresedia Cowell

Chapter 21

Every inch of the young dragon hurt, from the tip of her nose to end of her tail. 'Pain... Pain means I'm not dead.' Slowly she opens her eyes, but is met by nothing but dark. A sudden chill settles in her gut, 'I'm still blind? Was this all a dream?' She stirs, trying to get up, only to find she is restricted, bound, held?

"Kari?" the warm voice of Tannlaus sounds slightly muffled, the sound of her heartbeat thunders in her ears. She stirs again, dragging herself more firmly into wakefulness. The warm embrace of Tannlaus wing lifts away, bringing sunlight into her face and making her sneeze. "Kari? Your awake!" The male sounds overjoyed by the simple act.

Blinking her eyes, she finds familiar surroundings. A bed, pushed into an empty corner, drawings and sketches covering several walls, a desk with a nearly spent candle... Her brain takes everything in, but seems to be less responsive than she likes. "My room? I'm in my room? You're in my room. Why am I in my room? Why are you in my room? Does my Dad know you are here?" Sitting up, Kari feels every bone and muscle cry out.

"Take it easy love, your sire brought you here after you were hurt." The larger dragon, nuzzles against her chin gently. "Ryder has been caring for you. You've mostly healed, but your wings took the worst damage."

Glancing down her body, Kari finds a number of wraps and poultices applied to her limbs and ribs, her wings have been completely wrapped in sheets and leather ties preventing her from opening them. "How bad? How long?"

"They were broken in multiple places, but they were clean breaks. Ryder has done a spectacular job at helping them mend over the last two weeks." Tannlaus leads her to the door, and opens it by pulling on a rope tied through a freshly cut hole. "Something the one-leg came up with," he explains. Stepping fully into the sun, he lets out a roar, getting everyone's attention.

The day couldn't be more perfect, a breeze from the west brings the smell of wild heather. The sky is clear and crystal blue, with just the hints of wispy clouds on the horizon. Dragons zip back and forth the skyline, some carry people others building materials. Still others are putting up long strings of hand woven flowers between buildings. Kari stands with her mouth agape, "That's it! I'm dead!"

Her mate nuzzles her jaw, "No, but you gave it your best shot."

"Kari!" Valka cries out, followed closely by the chief. Wrapping her arms around the dragoness neck, "I'm sorry, I wasna' there for ya'. I thought if I stayed away..." Kari leans into the hug, being careful not to hurt the smaller woman.

"Ahem..." Stoick places his hand of Valka's shoulder, "Now we have a reason to celebrate!" The chief of the Hairy Hooligan tribe, lifts his hand in the air, turning to the gathering Vikings and dragons, "I want it known... Today we celebrate! We celebrate the return of the heroes Tannlaus and Hic... Kari!" He leans down to the smaller dragon, "Sorry, still hard ta' get my head 'round tha'." He turns back to the village as the cheers die down, "We also celebrate the wedding of the Chief's daughter!"

This brings a surprised squeak from the dragoness, and earns her the biggest grin from her father, she had ever seen. "And finally! We celebrate peace with the dragons! We will have the wedding at midday, and then feast until next Wodensday!"

The cheers and sounds of laughter are broken up by the depressed look on Ruffnut and Tuffnut's faces. "Chief? Does this mean we don't get to use our funeral boat?" Kari looks to the bay, and sees what can only be the single least seaworthy watercraft she had ever laid eyes on. The barely floating 'raft' was painted in a garish green, with skulls and fire bordering the edges. Odd barrels seem to be tucked into a central 'platform' she could only imagine was meant to hold her dead body.