THE BROKEN PROPHECY Chapter 18

This is a fanfic and I make no money from this. Original copyrights belong to Dreamworks and Cresedia Cowell

Chapter 18

Stoick and Valka slide from Cloudjumper's back. The Vikingg chief stumbles a bit, trying to find his legs, as he approaches the twinned Shadewings. "Hic... Hiccup?"

Kari snorts at hearing him use his old name. "She likes bein' called Kari now," Valka explains.

The chief stands corrected, an embarrassed glow hidden behind his beard. "Kari, is it?" Seeing the 'beast' nod, he sighs. "I dinna' know if I can take this all in... My son is gone, and is now this..." He pauses, barely stopping himself from tossing out his usual anti-dragon rhetoric. "This Dragon... I canna' deny, ya' helped fight off yur' friends, but you did all this!" He waves his hand at the ruined homes and terrified people, huddled in the few remaining structures.

Astrid steps forward, Azurestorm following her new pet closely. "Chief... This IS Hiccup, this is not the same dragon responsible for what happened. I mean look at her, she doesn't seem very eager to kill anyone here."

Kari sees Astrid for the first time, up close. The cloth covering her eye, slips revealing an empty socket. With a coo of distress, she leans into the blond. "Astrid? I'm so sorry."

Astrid at first seems confused by the black dragons reaction, but quickly begins rubbing her head, then readjusts the cloth. "It happened the first night of these new raids." She takes a moment, "One of your blasts, struck my axe and my face caught the shrapnel." Kari sits silently, stunned by the lack of anger in the blonds description. "I knew something was wrong, I've never seen eyes that red, that angry. I knew it couldn't be you, not really. You would never act against the village, not that you didn't have reason to." She turns to look at the chief, her right hand resting on Azurestorms neck and her left on Kari's head.

Stoick shakes his head slowly, then turning to the rest of the village, "These... Dragons...," he pauses unable to believe he is about to utter his next words, "Just fought off twice their number! Just like Vikings from the old eddas!" He turns back to the gathered dragons, "I dona' suppose we have time ta' celebrate?" The dragons of the ice-nest all look to Kari and Tannlaus, confused by the humans. Kari nods to her father. Raising his hands in the air, "Tonight we feast!! T'morrow, We take the fight to them!" Another shout of approval from the village causes the dragons to grow nervous and skittish.

"The two-legs want to feast to our victory!" Kari explains, calming the dragons around her. She looks at her friends and finds Ruffnut and Tuffnut playing with their newly named "Barf and Belch". Snotlout and Volcus have found a lost mead keg and have started to celebrate early. Kari approaches and looks to her cousin, then to Volcus, "You seem to be getting along?"

Volcus blinks his huge yellow eyes, "I like this one. He isn't very bright, but he makes the funniest noises." Then without warning he spits a tiny dollop of saliva on Snotlout's trousers, making the teen shout in alarm before jumping into a nearby water trough.

Kari looks at the big dragon, "I admit that is kinda funny, but he is my cousin... " Seeing the look of disappointment on the Flametongue, she sighs, "Okay! But no permanent harm!" She warns, bringing a happy grin to the bigger dragon. Stepping away she chuckles as she hears her cousin shout out, "Oh! not again, stupid dragon!" followed by a 'splash'.

"Hiccup?" The femine voice catches her attention. Astrid takes a step back when Kari growls. "Sorry... Kari?" This visibly causes the dragon to relax. Azurestorm nuzzles up to the blond, "Does he have a name?" Astrid asks.