THE BROKEN PROPHECY Chapter 20

This is a fanfic and I make no money from this. Original copyrights belong to Dreamworks and Cresedia Cowell

Chapter 20

"You've been quiet since we left the harbor..."

"I'm sorry, Tannlaus. Just... I gave in. I gave in, again." Kari looks to her mate. "I'm going to lead them through the mist."

"NO! You can't... You mustn't." Pausing he bounds in front of her, blocking her way.

"I must, the Chief was right... I'm responsible for all this, I need to make it right."

Tannlaus shakes his head, "Chief?" He tilts his head, to get a good long look into her eyes.

"He isn't acting much like a father... The ships will be ready in no time, and then there is no stopping this madness." She shakes her head, "I can't lead them someplace safe, someplace away from the nest, they won't rely on me until we reach the mist. I could sink their ships in the harbor, but then they would have no way to evacuate if the queen does show her forces." She very nearly collapses to her belly, letting out a frustrated sigh. "I can't ask anyone else to go, and these... Stupid... VIKINGS!!! she roars to the sky."

"You have never thought of them as 'them' before..." Tannlaus gives her a sad look, "I might not agree with their intent, but they are your pack. Dysfunctional or not."

"Ryder... Yes, I'll call her mother... Even Gobber has more right to be called father... But no. The Chief chose his village over me... I won't call him father, not any more. I'm tired of trying to prove myself. I do this to make amends, not because I'm his child." With a growl, a snarl and a blast of plasma, Kari levels what's left of the mead hall doors. Her claws struggle, but dig deep furrows in the stone archway,  Kari the Shadewing disowns Stoick the Vast, this act against common sense makes all things equal... May the gods watch over the innocent.

Tannlaus watches as his mate damages her claws in the act, but does nothing to stop her. "What does it say?" he asks simply when she is done.

"I hope it will be a reminder to the Chief, just what he's lost. Assuming we all live through it." She squares her shoulders, flutters her wings into a more comfortable position then stalks deeper into the village, looking for the other dragons. Nearest the mead hall is Astrid's home, and sitting outside the blond is scrubbing her Thorntail companion with a stiff horsehair brush.

"Kari!" The happy Thorntail calls, "You look upset... What's wrong?"

"I need you to relay to the others, I'm going to..." Tannlaus suddenly wraps his wing over her, in silent support. "We..." she looks to her mate with a nod, "are going to lead these fools to the Queen..." Before Azure can say anything, "I want you and the others to stay away... Take your humans away from here, go back to the ice-nest, maybe... I don't care where, but get them away from here... I don't see any way we can win against her..."

"Then you need us!" Azure squawks. "You can't go against her by yourselves!"

"No! I can't have you risking everything just for me. Please, just go..." Turning quickly, Kari takes flight, heading towards the harbor. Tannlaus looks at his Thorntail friend with a look of regret before taking wing and following.

****

Stoick looks out over the deck of his ship. The smaller Night Fury, his daughter, sits quietly brooding. Looking back at the ship commanded by his brother-in-law Spitelout, he can clearly make out the shape of the larger Night Fury. A strong wave tosses the longship, as it cuts through the sea easily. His foot slips on the wet deck, but brushes against a damaged timber. Glancing down, the words Stupid Chief can still be made out. The rest of her message sanded away in the rush to prepare for the raid. Glancing at the large reptile, he sees nothing of the child he thought he knew. A chill settles in his bones, 'This is all I ever wanted... Going out on an adventure with my son by my side... None of this is right.' The first wisps of mist begins reaching out for the longboats. "All right! Stay within the sound of my voice!" He calls back to rest of the ships. Reaching out to gently lay his hand on Kari's side, rewards him with a warning growl. Calmly he withdraws his hand, a brief look of surprise flashes on his face before he speaks, "Lead us on..."