Chapter Two: You Want Us To Do What?!

"WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING HERE?!" Haruna screamed at Kanako. All the other girl could do was stand there in shock. "Y-You can't be serious... That other l-letter was you?" Kanako finally managed to say. "Unbelievable!" Haruna shouted before storming back to the table. "This situation is already ridiculous enough, but of all the other girls that could show up, it just haaad to be you! Damn it!"

Kanako continued to stand where she was, still trying to make sense of the situation she found herself in. "Haruna... why did it have to be Haruna...?" Kanako wondered. "U-um Ha..." she hesitated, then: "Haruna!" "What?" the other girl said angrily. "W-what do you think we should do? Do we take turns or something, haha..." Kanako half-heartedly suggested.

"Are you kidding me...?" Haruna said darkly. "Take turns? TAKE TURNS?! I'M NOT TAKING TURNS CONFESSING YOU IDIOT!" Haruna shouted as she quickly turned toward Kanako, who backed up from fear. "I got here first! I put MY letter in Miyashita-kun's locker before you! Just get lost!"

Kanako was frozen in place. She hated having to deal with Haruna and her yelling, but... "N-no..." she said softly. "Huuh?! Whaddya mean no?!" Haruna yelled. "I told my friends that I would confess today s-so—" "Ohhh, you told your friends, huh? Well that changes everything doesn't it?" Haruna said sarcastically. "Guess I'll just be on my way." Of course, Kanako didn't quite pick up that Haruna wasn't serious. "R-really? Then-"

"NO, NOT REALLY YOU DOLT! God, you're so stupid, you know that? Why would I leave after I just told you to get lost?!" Haruna was fuming. "Besides, you really think you have a chance with Miyashita-kun?" she continued in a calmer but meaner tone. "I mean come on, have you looked in the mirror? Your looks barely qualify as average and your personality is meeker than a mouse! Who'd want to date you? The only thing you could even say you have are those two big lumps of fat on your front!" "At least I'm not an ironing board like you..." Kanako muttered. "What'd you say?!" Haruna shot back.

Haruna sighed. "Face it short stack, there's no way he's picking you. I'm the one that's clearly best suited to be with Miyashita-kun, so why don't you just squeak back into whatever pathetic hole you scurried out of. Oh, and make sure to leave that false confidence you built up at the door." Haruna said as she turned away.

There was something that Haruna tended to forget when it came to Kanako, because it happened so rarely. While it's true Kanako was typically quiet and borderline shy, there was something else about her. She was never one to dish out insults and preferred to just ride out any thrown at her, but... when pushed far enough, there was a fury inside her that could make Haruna on edge.

"You're insufferable..." Kanako started. "Huh?" Haruna turned back to face her and was met with a very dark feeling. "We hardly talk anymore, so sometimes I forget just how awful you are," Kanako said, now brimming with anger. "You think you can just say whatever you want, regardless of if it's something you shouldn't! You're crude, despicable and horrible!" Kanako kept it coming as she marched toward Haruna. Any time Kanako got truly angry, it always took Haruna aback. She started stepping backwards.

"You said what guy would want to go out with me, but what guy would want to go out with a girl like you? You're not nice or comforting, and I bet that when it comes to being romantic, a gorilla could do a better job!" Kanako was right in Haruna's face now (or at least as close as she could be because Haruna was so much taller than her). "I-" Haruna tried to say. "I'm not finished!" Kanako continued. "Akio-kun deserves to be with someone a lot better than you! I know I'm not super pretty or the best student or anything like that, but still... I'm better for him than you'd ever be you... y-you flat Godzilla!" "FLAT GODZILLA?!"

"Wow, I can see the fireworks from here," a boy's voice rang out suddenly.

The girls stopped mid-fight to turn and see who it was that had spoken. Before both of them stood a boy with gentle, brown hair and hazel eyes, wearing their school's uniform with a green tie to indicate he was a second-year just like them. A soft breeze rippled his white t-shirt and light grey pants as he looked at them with a pleasant smile.