Chapter Three: Let's Play Pretend, For The Sake Of Our Feelings

"I want you two to date each other instead," Akio repeated simply. Both Kanako and Haruna stared at him blankly for a few seconds before it finally clicked. "W-W-W-Wait, I don't think I heard you right Akio-kun," Kanako said. "I suppose I should clarify," he said.

"For this entire school year, I want you and Haruna to go out. Then, after that year, I'll date whichever one of you does a better job in your relationship," Akio stated. "Who the hell would agree to that..." Haruna said as she looked at the ground, clenching her fists. "This shouldn't even be some sort of game. JUST PICK ONE OF US OR NEITHER, IT'S THAT SIMPLE!" she snapped, looking up with eyes filled with both pain and anger.

"I guess it could be," Akio agreed. "But I still stand by my earlier question. If best friends suddenly hate each other, what does that say about your quality as a lover? But, if the two of you were able to convince me that you genuinely care for one another like you used to, it would assure me that your feelings for me are also genuine."

"So let me get this straight..." Haruna began. "To show you we're both serious, we have to convince you that we're not just good friends again, but lovers? And if we can do that, you'll pick one of us to go out with for our last year of high school?" "That's right," Akio nodded.

"No way," Haruna said flatly. "I refuse."

"There's absolutely no way I'm spending any more time than necessary with this loser. Even being around her this long makes me sick. And now, instead of just giving a yes or no answer to our confessions, you expect us to act like lovers?! How the hell are we even supposed to pull that off?! WE'RE BOTH GIRLS DUMBASS!!!"

"You really don't get it do you?" Akio sighed. "Get. What?" Haruna said through gritted teeth. "Well if I have to explain it to you, it kind of loses its effect. It's such a shame that you apparently aren't serious, especially after giving such heartfelt confessions," Akio said. "I am serious!" Haruna yelled. "I love you Miyashita-kun! But this... you're asking the impossible of me, of us. I can't stand this girl and it's the same way back. Neither of us can do this 'deal' you're proposing."

Akio sighed again. "Well, I guess if you feel that strongly about it, I have no choice but to retract my deal and reject both of you outright. Thank you both very much for your feelings, but I'm afraid I'll have to decline." Then, Akio began to walk away. Haruna watched as he did, feeling so much pain in her heart with each step that Akio became further away. She wanted to stop him. She wanted to just have him all to herself. "Why does it have to be like this?" Haruna thought sadly.

"I'll do it," a small voice suddenly said.

Haruna's sadness quickly switched to shock as she turned her attention to Kanako. Her words had made Akio stop too. "Kana-chan?" he said. Gathering her resolve, Kanako took a step toward Akio and gave him a look of determination. "If this is what it takes to be with you Akio-kun, I'll gladly take on this challenge," she said. "WHAT'RE YOU SAYING, YOU IDIOT?! DON'T YOU REALIZE WHAT THIS MEANS?!" Haruna screamed at Kanako. "I understand exactly what it means. However, I've had these feelings for so long, and I won't have them wasted and thrown away like this!" Kanako stood firm on her words, leaving Haruna speechless.

"I know Akio-kun won't pick me just because of this. But, if there's even a small chance, I have to try!" Kanako thought. "Akio-kun," she continued. "Maybe it sounds reckless, and irresponsible, but still... I want you to know that I'd do anything for you! So if I have to put up with Haruna, then I'll do that!"

"Put up with huh?" Akio repeated. Kanako flinched. She knew instantly it was the wrong choice of words. "So Haruna-chan, what do you have to say to such a proclamation? Will you just let her do and say as she pleases, or will you fight for what you desire as well?" Akio prodded.