Chapter Thirteen: Determination

"Alright boys and girls, listen up! It's time to decide who's doing what for the festival!" As the teacher said that, a bunch of students began yelling over each other, trying to claim what events they wanted to participate in. "Quiet down! I can't understand any of you like this!" the teacher shouted, but it didn't seem to make much of an impact. She sighed and decided to wait it out.

While there were certainly plenty of people making noise in the classroom, Kanako wasn't one of them. Instead, she was lost in thought wondering how and when she'd be able to talk with Haruna. With each class making their own preparations, it wasn't like there'd be a lot of free time. The sports festival wasn't nearly as busy as the cultural festival, but it was still taken just as seriously at Iwanai Municipal High School. They were sure to make a big show out of it, having plenty of events and bringing in a few local restaurants to cater to the crowd.

"SHUT UP ALREADY!!!" the teacher screamed, snapping Kanako out of her thoughts. That also appeared to be enough to get the class's full attention. "Now," the teacher continued, adjusting the hair that had fallen in front of her face from her aggressive movement. "We'll start from the beginning. Who wants to do the 100 meter dash?"

And so it began. Kanako's teacher started going down the list of events, all 20 of them. With each one, several people raised their hand and their names were written on the board. About 12 in, the teacher read one that was unique to the school. It was the 800 meter tag team.

The way it worked was pretty simple. Like a relay, you had team members participating with you. But unlike a relay, it was only two people. One person would start the race and run the first 400 meters (meaning one full lap around the track) and then they'd tag their teammate to run the next 400. It was an event that didn't really require much skill, but it definitely helped to be fast.

Naturally a bunch of hands went up, but before anyone could make their case, a surprising voice sounded off from the back. "I'll do it!" the girl exclaimed, standing up and causing her two blond strands to sway. "Fukuhara-san? I didn't think you were much of a runner," the teacher commented, eliciting a few giggles. "W-Well, I still want to try!" Michi pushed on. "Alright. Who's your partner?"

The next surprise was the biggest of them all to Kanako, who had been sitting quietly. The next thing she knew, her best friend's finger was pointed directly at her. "Kana-chan," Michi answered directly. This caused a few murmurs. It wasn't as if Kanako was slow, but like most things for her, she was the middle of the pack when it came to her speed. Around her, a couple people wondered if their class would even stand a chance at winning if the two girls ran the event.

However, instead of questioning it, the teacher just smiled and nodded her head. "Then it's decided. Fukuhara-san and Nakatomi-san will run the 800 meter tag team." It was with that announcement that Kanako finally broke her silence. "W-W-Wait a minute!" she stammered, standing up. "I never said I'd do it!" "Well, moving along," the teacher said. "Hey!" Kanako tried to protest, but it was no use.

Sitting back down, Michi placed her hand on Kanako's shoulder. "Come on, don't worry about it. It'll be fun!" she said, beaming. "Hmph," was all Kanako could respond with.

When lunchtime came around and the usual group gathered, Michi informed Mayu and Itsuki with the latest news. The two of them reacted in a way Michi apparently hadn't expected. Mayu looked rather uncertain, and Itsuki's jaw was practically on the floor. "Are... are you sure about this?" she asked Michi. "Huh? Of course I'm sure," she answered. "But like, you're so slow..." Itsuki said. "I'm not that slow!" Michi defended herself. "Weren't you last in our class last year?" Itsuki asked. "No I was not! I was third from the bottom!"

While the two bickered, Kanako thought about their most recent time trials. In gym class, the girls and boys would split up and each do their own thing. But, every once and a while, the two sides would sync up and it was for one reason only: time trials. Each student was required to do them as long as they were able. That meant running the 100 meter, 400 meter and 1600 meter.