Chapter 13

The Rise

Chapter Summary
Sabrina vows her revenge.

The jar with Lisa's ashes had been sprinkled on the river. With the last of her sister's ashes coating her palm, she took a shuddering sigh, reluctantly sprinkling the remnant powder.

Behind her, her mother watched the ashes follow the current of the streaming azure river. The ashes swam away, somewhere faraway wherever the river current led them.

"She wanted her ashes to be sprinkled on a river... if she turned to ashes," Sabrina told her mother, then clasped her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. Sabrina allowed a single tear to stream down her cheek. "Can't believe that came true."

Snowdust breathed in and out, there was shakiness in it. She gazed at her living daughter next to her dismally, her eyebrows furrowed. "She was heroic. She was full of hope and joy for the world. She loved you so much." Snowdust draped an arm around her shoulders and pulled her close. "We will never forget her brave actions. I just... I wish I could have been there to stop him."

"Mom. We talked about this." Sabrina turned to face her. She held her hands in hers. "Don't blame yourself."

Though in her head, she blamed herself for not evading Vladimir's attack. Otherwise, Lisa would have been alive by now, walking along with the surviving citizens of the Lycan Den.

And Snowdust... she blamed herself for a lot of things. She should have been gone years ago, but people sacrificed to extend her life, to push her away from death's path.

"I know. But, I've been blaming myself for decades." Snowdust pulled her hands away from Sabrina and walked towards the river, then stared down at her wavy reflection in the water.

The river mirrored her movements, the little details in her movements and her expressions, they were readable. It was written with so much sadness, Sabrina noticed and took a step forward to comfort her.

"Your grandparents... your father... your sister." Snowdust glued her eyes shut, sobbing, and trying to bite it back. "They all died because of me."

Sabrina's eyes gushed with tears as she ran towards her and captured her in an embrace. "Because you're worthy of living."

"How? I lost everybody..." Snowdust's voice abruptly lowered.

"You didn't lose me," Sabrina smiled sadly at Snowdust, keeping up with joy while scars of tragedy and pain marked her heart. Even if she was bruised by sadness, she attempted to avert herself from it and beam.

At the sound of Sabrina's voice and the flow of her words, a part of heaviness was lifted from Snowdust's heart. She closed her eyes and let the touch of Sabrina's embrace swaddle her in warmth and affection.

"What could I have done if you weren't here?" Snowdust asked.

"I think you know what you'll do next. You're a strong wolf, I know that and I'm still rising." Sabrina answered. Then, after a long moment, stretched of seconds, they parted themselves from each other and turned to the citizens.

"I've assigned Asha and Doctor Leandro to tending you all. Luckily, Asha has recovered makeshift tents for soldiers. So, you all can camp in the woods until Former Queen Snowdust, King Divinity, and I find a way to shelter you all." Sabrina released a sigh. "We are fortunate that King Seth has agreed to grant sanctuary to a portion of our den's citizens."