Bringing The Fight

Thursday had arrived, and Amy was beyond excited for today, as she was shopping with her dad and his new girlfriend. As Pam, Fergal and Amy were the only ones who knew about it so far, Matt and Leah wanted it to stay that way until he was ready to go public. The father and daughter were having breakfast while waiting for Leah to turn up.

Matt: So, sprout, you excited about today?

Amy: Yeah!

Matt: Is it just cos we're going with Leah?

She nodded her head and ate her cereal, while Matt kept thinking about stuff as he ate his toast. Was Leah the perfect woman for him? Was she the right woman to take care of Amy and become her mum? And what would Katie have thought if she were still around today? All those thoughts were put to one side as there was then a knock on the door. Amy ran to get it, and pulled the handle, after a leg up from Matt. The door then opened to reveal Leah ready to shop.

Matt: Hey, you.

He gave her a short kiss which she absolutely loved.

Leah: I'm still not believing that me and you are a thing...

Matt: Want me to pinch you and find out?

But Amy beat him to the punch, or in this case, pinch, as she pinched Matt's leg to amuse herself.

Matt: Ow! Not me, Ames!

Leah and Amy laughed as he rubbed his leg.

Leah: Nice one, Amy!

The girls shared a hi-five as they then went to the couch, and watched some cartoons while Matt cleaned up and got dressed in some jeans, a blue shirt and some trainers. While Leah was laughing at the Tom and Jerry cartoon, Amy looked at her dad and did her best attempt at a wolf whistle. Leah then turned to see Matt and saw that he looked as manly as ever, not taking her eyes off him.

Leah: Well, he-llo, mister!

Matt: This? Oh I've had this for ages, and I haven't worn it for a while.

Amy: You look good, Daddy!

Matt smiled at his daughter's comment.

Matt: Thanks, sweetie. Now, you guys ready?

Amy: Let's go shoppies!

Leah couldn't help but admire her as she held her hand as they walked towards Matt's matte black Mercedes GLS.

Matt: You okay leaving your car here?

Leah: Yeah, besides, you have an amazing car!

Matt: Well I don't think it's that amazing but thanks anyway! I've also fine tuned her a bit too, with a little help from my granddad's old mechanic tips. I learnt from him.

Leah: And where is he now?

Matt looked at Amy with a hint of sadness before replying, looking down as he spoke.

Matt: He, um... died nearly 3 years ago from a stroke.

Leah hugged Matt as best she could, with Amy even curious about her dad.

Amy: You okay Daddy?

Matt: Yeah I'm fine, short stuff.

Leah grabbed his hand while Matt spent a moment in traffic thinking about his grandad and all the good times they had together when Matt was just a kid.

Matt: Me and him, we were like two peas in a pod. Never fell out, never argued, and at times I thought he actually was my dad. Always got me an ice cream on holiday as a kid, every year, without fail. God, I miss him...